My grandmothers beta is rurning white!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I got a call from my grandmother and she said her beta that I got her was floating, she went to scoop him out and he started moving and swimming... She put him in a smaller bowl of room temp water and said his beautiful blue and red fins are turning white (they were white before she moved him out if his tank).. He seems to be swimming better in the new water but is still not right. Any ideas to what's wrong with him?
Thanks
Dan
Btw the beta is only 3 months old so it isn't age. And I can't get to her house till later tonight to check permitters.

Is the water treated before its put into the bowl? Have u tested for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates? Does it look like her/his fins are coming off? A picture would be helpful.

Idk I'm going by the phone call... I'll be able to get all that later tonight I'll try earlier..

Get all the parameters when you can, and also get the temp. Bettas like 78-80 degree water. With room temp, it most likely is too cold. That could contribute to lethargy. See if you can get pictures of him as well. It would help us determine what exactly is going on if we can see what you see.

Ok well so much for testing the water... It was dumped when I got there :/ Here are some pictures. He's in a weird bowl... So it's Hard to get pictures... Thanks for any help... His face is white and he has red spots...

Attachments

• image-2659639465.jpg
    image-2659639465.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2475324128.jpg
    image-2475324128.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 91
  • image-3712749690.jpg
    image-3712749690.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1089131050.jpg
    image-1089131050.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3520646735.jpg
    image-3520646735.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 91
In those pictures I don't see much of anything abnormal. The small lighter spot on his tail I could see is probably fin rot. His lethargy is probably due to his water being too cold. His tank needs a heater that keeps the tank at about 78-80 degrees.

Keeping the tank clean and water parameters good, will always help any problem. There are medications for them at fish stores. But I couldn't give u a recommendation. Just make sure u follow the directions on the bottle if u decide to treat with meds.

Ok thanks so much.... She said 3 days after a water change the water got brown And he got sick so it's due to Poor water... Just wish she didn't dump the water so i could have tested it.

Start with clean water for fin rot. A lot if times, it's just poor water, and clean water will fix the issues. Wait a week, and if there's absolutely no improvement, then we'll look into meds.

No problem. If u don't have one yet, an API freshwater test kit is a great thing to have! i cant explain how important it is to keep water quality in check. When they are your fish are happy and healthy. And checking them can let you know when u have to vacuum or do water changes. Please keep us updated!

UPDATE** here are some pictures of him... He seems very floaty.... I changed his water today and I took a picture of him in a small holding cup... Do you think he'll make it... I'm trying to do everything I can to keep him healthy, but I never had a beta get sick before.
Thanks for the help
Dan

Attachments

• image-821596302.jpg
    image-821596302.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3022527548.jpg
    image-3022527548.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 83
I feel soo bad... My grandmother didnt have a filter in his tank... I just bought one but didnt put his tank together till he gets better. I tried a pea with no skin, and he don't eat it... Then I broke it into little pieces and put a new one in, and nothing... Should I get meds? He hasn't been eating anything... Idt the poor little guy has too big a chance, but I'm not giving up I really want to try to save him... His fave turned blue again instead of white.. So I think he is a little better... Not much though.

As long as he's the only fish in the tank, it's fine to put him back in it. He would do better with the filter. His water would be oxygenated and the toxins can start to be filtered out. If he's not eating, don't leave food in with him.

I feel soo bad... My grandmother didnt have a filter in his tank... I just bought one but didnt put his tank together till he gets better. I tried a pea with no skin, and he don't eat it... Then I broke it into little pieces and put a new one in, and nothing... Should I get meds? He hasn't been eating anything... Idt the poor little guy has too big a chance, but I'm not giving up I really want to try to save him... His fave turned blue again instead of white.. So I think he is a little better... Not much though.
Keep the tank clean, fast him for a day, try again then. Don't forget to change water more often. At least once per three days in this case:)

I would also get him a heater, he's not likely to eat if your cold. What kind of water conditioner do you have?

Try adding a half dose (1/4 tsp for every gal) of freshwater aquarium salt... Not marine salt... anywhere that sells freshwater fish should carry freshwater salt. Dissolve salt in separate container before adding to tank.

Ok thanks and my heater will be here tomarrow... It's a small beta heater that has no adjustment but it is made for beta fish so he'll be all set tomarrow.. And ok I'll go get some aquarium salt tomarrow thanks for all this help guys!!

Back
Top Bottom