My guppies always die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lazlo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got my first tank, a free 29g a little over a year ago. Lots of changes, lots of learning, have 3 tanks now, but one constant is my guppies are always dying. Is it common for gups to live only 1-3 months? We have had 3 very large females who lived for 1 year ( though a guy at the local fish rescue suggested they may have been atleast 1/2 mosquito fish due to their size) and 2 males last about 6-7 months but most others seem very short lived. Most of the time my tank is slightly overstocked, maybe, but even when populations are low it doesn't seem to be better. I'm guessing it's poor breeding stock, most of them come from the local petsmart/petco, but we have gotten some from " local breeders" ie people with guppies and craigslist adds, and several from the high end local fish stores(only one of which seemed to last any longer).

The current tank is a 55g I call guppyland. It has 2 each sterbai, albino, and pand cories, 1 albino BN pleco, 1 8-9" common pleco, 2 black skirt tetras about 2.5" each, 2 giant almost 3" amano shrimp, and between 10-30 adult guppies depending on the week. The tetras and plecos where the first fish I bought, have changed tanks, substrates, been moved and are fine. The cories went in in Nov when I got the 55 and they have all flourished. I realize this is probably too many fish, but my tank maintenance is immaculate and water perameters are excellent. I have a fluval/aquaclear 110 w/ prefilter and extra bio media, temp is 78 degrees steady. I do 20-40 percent wc every 7-10 days depending on how much water it takes to clean gravel. Nitrates never higher than 20 and stay at about 5-10, even after wc, ammonia/nitrate is 0 measurable always, ph is solid 7.0, gh is 30 kh 80(based on API test strips, everything else tested with different strips and API master test kit all read same so seems accurate).

Fry go into a 10g growout tank if they survive a day for us to catch them. We get about 10/week, maybe 2-3 survive the 10g long enough to go back in the big tank, brokenbacks and bland males get traded to the lfs. That's on average, sometimes its a lot more, sometimes less. Generally we breed 1 for every 3 we lose, and we try to switch out females to avoid in-breeding. This means constantly buying/trading new fish, which is cool for the dynamic of the tank changing, but we've had several spectacular ones and those seem to be the first to die off.

I feed once a day, about an hour before lights off(only time my schedule permits) , I do 2-3 big pinches of omega1 flake, 2 algea wafers and a few bottom feeder tabs. Seems like a lot of flake to me but it's all gone within 30-45 seconds and none hits the substrate, the guppies also swarm the wafers and other fish have to fight for their share. I also add 2 slices of zucchini/cucumber twice a week which seems to be equally shared.

About a month ago I switched out the fake plants and décor and what I call disco gravel (bright blue w/ neon pink and green, came with my first tank) for local river gravel and some live plants. Then added a giant piece of driftwood, halved the tank with sand, and added a bunch of live plants and upped lighting with a 2 bulb shop light. Floating anacharis in half the tank and water lettuce everywhere but the filter outflow, anubias all over the DW, jungle val, crypts, and java moss clump to hide fry.

Thought all this would improve survival rate, but quite the opposite. Don't know if its all the changes or somethings not right. We've been losing 2-4 guppies everyday. Now once I changed the tank my wife we crazy and got tons of new guppies, maybe 15. I wasn't shocked to see lots of deaths at first, but acclimation should be fine now and death rate is crazy still. She pointed out that the dead ones all have no tails except just horizontal spines. I don't get to watch the tank much, though I've never seen any aggression. Our babysitter said she saw the tetras chasing guppies, but they've been in there from the beginning and that I've never seen. LFS guy suggested maybe the plecos sucking tails off at night, but again I've never seen any signs of this.

Wow, that got long winded, sorry. It all comes down to 2 questions, is it my tank/aggression/overstocking, or are guppies just going to die every 2-3 months because of breeding stock? My favorite LFS is actually a "fish rescue" and they would gladly take my black skirts and/or my pleco and sell them to someone with the right tank. But as they were our first fish we've become somewhat attached and would hate to see them go if it doesn't help matters. Any Advice is appreciated.

Something isn't right. The tank is over stocked and that's likely a large part of the problem. Guppies should live easily a year +. I've had some live 2-2.5 years.

I have a hard time believing ammonia/trite/trates are staying so low with this much stock. There is a little interpretation to reading those test results so true numbers could be a bit higher.

Any signs of parasites or disease? If your introducing fish in and out of this tank a lot I highly recommend a quarantine tank. Keep all new additions in qt 10-14 days before adding to the tank.

Qt tank is not really feasible. For one thing I don't notice anything wrong with the fish so they would end up goin in the big tank either way. Also just don't have room for another tank to sit empty and how would I keep it cycled with no fish. The point of this is to prevent getting new fish all the time.

So how many guppies would you think is ok assuming the Pleco and black skirts are gone?

If it is a disease or parasite how would I go about treating it with no signs as to what it is? What would effect only the guppies and not the other fish?

I agree with the accuracy of test kit, I find them about useless really. 10-40 nitrates looks like the same color. However coming up with the same numberS using several different methods including testing at the lfs leads me to believe nothing is way off anyways.

Thanks for the help

Let me start by saying I am not an expert by any means. I just set up my first tank in November. But could it be that there is disease/parasites already in the tank and all new additions are catching it? I have guppies that I bought full grown from Petsmart, inadvertently put them through a very long tank cycle, and they live in an overstocked tank. Yet, healthy and no casualties after having them for 6 months now. So, I don't think it is the quality of the stock.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with mar23, where the fish came from is not the problem.

Parasite or different diseases can show a multitude of different symptoms or almost none at all.

First a question, are you familiar with ich? Any white blotchy spots on the fish?

Is their poop excessively long and stringy, or white in color?

Any redness around the gills?

In my experience excessive random deaths almost always come back to water quality. The way you are adding and removing fish the tank can never reach a point of homeostasis in its denitrifying bacterial colony.

Potentially a slight overfeeding issue as well

First, (i would) if possible move or rehome the big pleco.

Then for 4 weeks back to back conduct 50-75 once weekly water changes while testing regularly.

Try to be more consistent with the bio load of the tank, constantly adding fish can result in constant mini cycles (ammonia spikes and its hard on the fish).

Just observe during this time for any odd behavior or potential parasites/diseases.

(^the above is just how I would handle the situation, advice on things like this vary from keeper to keeper)

I did have ich when we first started treated by raising temp for a couple weeks. The black skirts and Pleco were in that tank as well as my neons now in a different tank. No signs of the spots since.

No red gills. The Plecos Poo is long and stringy but brown thought that was normal. I have noticed the guppies rubbing in the sand and the bn rubs his head on the dw. Maybe it is parasites or something. If so anyway to treat with shrimp assassin snails and live plants? Will my other tanks be contaminated by using the same buckets/nets/siphon etc? Would parasites hitch hike on my shrimp if move them? My 29 is a planted tank now and can separate everything though I haven't at this point. The 10g is my fry tank and plant propagation area so things get moved between the 55 often.

Gonna take in the Pleco tomorrow and no new fish will do weekly cleanings and keep an eye on things.

I did have ich when we first started treated by raising temp for a couple weeks. The black skirts and Pleco were in that tank as well as my neons now in a different tank. No signs of the spots since.

No red gills. The Plecos Poo is long and stringy but brown thought that was normal. I have noticed the guppies rubbing in the sand and the bn rubs his head on the dw. Maybe it is parasites or something. If so anyway to treat with shrimp assassin snails and live plants? Will my other tanks be contaminated by using the same buckets/nets/siphon etc? Would parasites hitch hike on my shrimp if move them? My 29 is a planted tank now and can separate everything though I haven't at this point. The 10g is my fry tank and plant propagation area so things get moved between the 55 often.

Gonna take in the Pleco tomorrow and no new fish will do weekly cleanings and keep an eye on things.

Sounds like a great plan. If you see signs of illness, maybe just medicate the whole tank and let it be without fish for a while.

image.jpg
This is one of my black skirts when I came home today. It was fine last night. Fin rot or eaten?

Could that be "hole in the head"? I believe it is a bacterial infection?

I now believe it is a bacterial infection. Went to lfs had water tested and it's great like usual. She recommended moving my shrimp and snails and dosing tetra lifeguard for 5 days. Come home and do some research on it and apparently it's not safe for scaleless fish like my Plecos and corys. In fact it appears to be some form of stabilized chlorine. Also read that it will kill bb in the filter as well, makes sense that to kill bacteria all must die, but do not wan't to go through fish in cycling again. Not sure what to do.

Btw the affected black skirt died today. Also my vampire shrimp is impossible to get out of his cave(a hole in a giant piece of dw) to move if I needed to.

Could that be "hole in the head"? I believe it is a bacterial infection?

No and no, it's a parasite, this looks like a wound.

All you can do with guppies is make sure to heir tank is clean, do lots of water changes (best no substrate) and maybe an ick medicine. Antibiotics are pricey. I bet you would have much better results if you....
1. Switched to bare bottom tank (toss the nasty foul gravel, if you have plants, pot them)
2. Did more often PWC
3. Used a quarantine tank for new fish for at least 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom