My guppy refuses to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, here I go again...seriously I'm so glad I found this forum. I don't know what I would do without your input.
Anyway, I have a female guppy in my tank that refuses to eat. She stays close to the top but doesn't gasp for air or anything, she just likes to hang around up there nice and calm. Doesn't look stressed. (My other fish (mollies) are doing fine.)
Whenever I feed them, she avoids the food pieces. She has never done that before. I still feed them the same flakes and dried water fleas once a week.
What do you think is happening to her. Is she sick? :?

does she have any spots or sores or anything abnormal looking? are her scales sticking out with an extended abdomen? is she swimming straight and normally? sure is strange for a guppy not to eat.....mine had a columnaris outbreak long ago..lol, and they could barely swim right before they died, but they managed to eat a little at feeding time...what's you water chemistry look like?..let us know how she's doing!

She seemed fine up until now. If I look closely, I can see tiny (I mean really really tiny) little red spots on her body, between her top fin and her tail. She is swimming normally and other then these spots and not eating she behaves normally.
My water chem is okay as far as I can tell I tested for ammonia, it is now 7.6. It used to be 8.4. I used ph stabilizer a week ago because I tought it was too alkaline. I have mollies and guppies and they like the ph around 7.5. (right? :roll: ) Anyway after I did this the water clouded up a little.
Do you have any suggestions? I don' t want her to die and I don't know much about deseases. The only thing I've ever dealt with was Ich (which I cured).

well, to begin with i wouldn't suggest chemicals to change the pH, they can drop it really fast and that is very stressful on the fish--that said, why is your pH so high? does it come out of the tap that high? you would be better off to treat the root of the problem than to keep see-sawing them up and down with the pH chemicals....as far as the red spots go, i don't know anything about that, but if you have the ability i would definately seperate her from the rest of the fish immediately! does she look swollen, or too full of babies? do a google search on guppy diseases, i used to have some great links, but alas! i have lost them all...oh, and mollies can be nippy--watch to be sure no one is snapping at her when you aren't looking--fish do act different when they think you aren't looking, turn on your tank light, turn down your room light and sit a reasonable distance away without moving to much so the fish forget you are there, then you will see their real personalities....my friend just found a bully in her tank by doing the same thing, she couldn't figure out what was going on, so after sneaking around on them, she caught and removed the bully--it was an albino tetra of all things! terrified the whole tank! lol, do you have salt in your water??

Yes, the tapwater here is alkaline to begin with. I don't know what else to use. I don't think bottled water can be used in a tank. Can it?

Looks like my guppy has a bad case of fungus. In addition to the red spots she developed those hairy white spots on her sides. I did separate her and put her in my "hospital tank", which is totally new. Being a beginner, I'm trying to "get smarter" :lol: Anyway I put some fungus treatment in the water and she seems to feel better (looking at her movement), but those ugly infections are still there. I need to wait a few more days, if it's not getting better I'll do a second treatment. (That's what it says on the bottle.)

She did give birth to 5 babies :D before I separated her from the others. (I think it was her because the babies look like mini-guppies. But I never saw little ones in a tank, so they might be mollies. :?: I don't know if it is possible to tell them apart while they are this young) Anyway the babies look fine, they look happy and they have a good appetite.

....and yes, I put a little aquarium salt in the water, as you suggested earlier (I think it was you :roll: ) Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom