my hiding platy has white, raised bumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethany

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my platy has been hiding for a couple of months, and just recently I have noticed it has three raised white bumps on it's body by the origin of it's fin. I've been looking up some problems it might be, but still am not sure...I've come up with Columnaris Disease, parasitic worms, or Lymphosistis virus. Two bumps are more than 1 millimeter wide and raised, and the other is significantly smaller ( 1/4 millimeter?) The platy is in a community with two tetras and one bullying, small male guppy (believe it or not). Soon after the platy arrived to the tank, nearly a half year ago, the male guppy started to appear as though it was bullying the platy, or simply just stalking it. The platy's reaction was to go in to hiding, but even after I separated the platy and guppy it was hiding in a day or two. The water quality is good except for a little higher than preferred pH and having an algae problem every now and then, but platys eat algae sometimes??? who knows. either way. i would love some help, i'm not a dedicated fish keeper, but i do love the ones i have. thank you!!

1st of all, welcome to AA!

2nd, I'd say you are pretty dedicated since you have taken the time to try and care for your platy and research what the problem might be.

I'm sorry I can't help you much, but I know someone on this board will certainly give you a hand on the problem. Anyway we could get a picture by chance?

Not sure what it is but I had a platy with similar bumps that then shrunk back to normal size but it is missing scales there. I think that the lymphowhateverus usually causes clumpy things on the end of the fins, not the base.

Back
Top Bottom