My Ich 'adventure' :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Day 1:

Recently I've noticed a few white spots on my Black Skirt Tetra, today I see it on a few Neon Tetras and my Guppy :(
I think it's an Ich and for now will treat (see what I did there? :D) it that way. I've already lost one Glass Catfish and I hope I won't loose any more of my fishy friends :nono:

For now I plan to gradually crank up the temp to about 29 degrees (around 85 F I suppose) and I'm off to store for some medicine, if I manage to find something that won't jeopardise my shrimps... Is there anything with no copper in it?

Anyway--
Should anyone have any ideas on course of action please don't hesitate to post :)
And I also welcome any 'sorry for your glassfish' comments as well :angel:

Hmm, sorry for your loss. With my last experience with ich (my new cardinals had it for awhile), I really didn't think much of it. All the new ones had it (5). Pretty low key really. All I did was keep the water pristine as well as feeding them and making sure they ate. I fed micro pellets (ensuring that they would consume all the nutrients more so than flake food). Garlic was in it, although I'm not sure what that has to with anything but I heard they love it. The ich gradually faded away and is gone now. Took like a week. Didn't lose a single cardinal. Idk what I did but it was pretty low key. Just don't worry too much because ich isn't a very big deal IMO. Fish usually get ich when stressed. So as long as they're comfortable, it shouldn't strike for a LONG time! Good luck! :)

I didn't think much of it also, before I lost two fishes and another two are about to give up :( I guess the past "summer" has caused them some troubles...
Anyway-- it's day 3 now, the temp is steady 29 degrees. I have treated the tank with Interpet's 'Anti White Spot' and tomorrow will repeat the dose.

TotallyCoral said:
Hmm, sorry for your loss. With my last experience with ich (my new cardinals had it for awhile), I really didn't think much of it. All the new ones had it (5). Pretty low key really. All I did was keep the water pristine as well as feeding them and making sure they ate. I fed micro pellets (ensuring that they would consume all the nutrients more so than flake food). Garlic was in it, although I'm not sure what that has to with anything but I heard they love it. The ich gradually faded away and is gone now. Took like a week. Didn't lose a single cardinal. Idk what I did but it was pretty low key. Just don't worry too much because ich isn't a very big deal IMO. Fish usually get ich when stressed. So as long as they're comfortable, it shouldn't strike for a LONG time! Good luck! :)

Im under the impression that fish will only get it when their immune system is compromised IF ich is present in the tank. Some people say it is a big deal and take proper precautions to prevent it. If ich did slip through the cracks, you can take it seriously to get it out of your tank completely, or you can manage it.

My Ich adventure is over now. In total I've lost five fishes, including Walter the Betta, that was in separate tank altogether :( I reckon it's my fault, as I didn't get the illness too serious, nor I didn't take any precautions and used the same siphons etc. in both tanks while changing the water... Stupid me :(
Anyway - the illness itself doesn't seem to be too hard on fishes, as long as you recognise it fast and react in time - as even my Guppy who was literally on the verge has had survived and is now happy and bright coloured.
The bottom line? As soon as you notice your fishes scratching against the decorations - use some medicine; it doesn't hurt healthy fishes, but will save the sick one when used early.

Back
Top Bottom