my kuhli loach fish looks sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elfeves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It doesn't move much when I noticed it today. normally it would run away quickly when I poked it. I bought the fish a week ago. I have 5 kuhli in my 40 gallon aquarium. There are planted hiding places. It's hidden under moss. I did a 30% water change yesterday. I take spriluna tablet at night.
I think there are white spots on its tail, it looked like cotton, but I wasn't sure.
I examine the fish every day, for the first time, it looks so little active in front of me.

The white stuff on the rear half of the fish is excess mucous, which is produced by the fish when there is something in the water stressing it out. The most common cause is poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite or nitrate). Medications, fertiliser and other chemicals that get into the water can also cause this.

The tail also looks red and this is usually poor water quality allowing harmful bacteria in to affect the fish.

------------------

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add some salt, (see directions below).

------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt, swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

I was spraying fertilizer for plants. best is to take my kuhlis to another tank. There are 6 cory and L144 Longfin in the main tank. Is salt harmful to them? I worried that it was a white spot. I'm going to do salt therapy on another Tank.

You shouldn't need to move the Khulis to another tank. Just do a big water change on their current tank.

It's not white spot, it's just excess mucous.

What was the fertiliser you sprayed for the plants?

Salt is fine with Khulis and Corydoras as long as you follow the directions I put in post #2

Unfortunately I lost my kuhl half an hour after my comment. I saw the mysterious snail eat its tail.

Do a big (75%) water change and gravel clean the substrate. This will dilute anything in the tank and reduce the chance of more fish dying.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom