My little angel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi people, my little angel is ill, by its pectoral fin there is a red fungus kinda thing growing out of it, its growing very slowly, he is also very bloated atm, this started about 2 weeks ago, at first i did a water change of 20% everyday, to see if that would help, but no, for the past week i added Pimafix and Melafix, (could not decide what 1 2 use, so i did both) and its still growing, i hope you can just c what i mean in the photographs below, what can i do to help, i really look forward to your help!!

Thanks

Andy

Attachments

• fish_075_423.jpg
    fish_075_423.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 18
  • fish_076_153.jpg
    fish_076_153.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 16
Primafix and Melafix are really mild medications. Do you have a QT you can put her in and give her stronger stuff?

I can't really see in the pictures. Can you describe the texture and shape of the growth?

Like little red/pink ish lumps/ball shape but like in 1? slowly growing out by the fin!??

Oh sorry I dont hae a QT tank!, and ermm it is pink, not sure about the blood? it also starting to grow under the scales.

Can you afford to set up a QT? A 10 gallon tank with no hood, cheap heater, and a corner filter will run around $40 in my neghborhood.

See what your LFS has for a stronger anti-fungal. An antibiotic wouldn't hurt either. You don't want a secondary infection setting in before she recovers from the first.

Keep in mind a QT that isn't cycled will require daily water changes.

Can you see pink arteries in the surface, or is it uniformly pink?

The QT is not an option, tried asking my parents but they always so no! grrr errm and il go and stronger anit-fungal, and its uniformly pink, i'll try another med and tell ya what happens, thanks for ya help dskidmore.

Will your folks do a extra chores for extra cash deal? I used to have to earn my way to summer camp every year. I had to pay 50% of my first tank, and then Mom kept it when I went off to collage. (Found another setup in a garage sale for $10 to take to collage.)

well i asked, they said sure i could do chores lol but they wont allow me to get another tank, not even a small 1 for QT,

yeah i got some "aquarium treatment" anti fungus stuff, its on day 2 now, its stop growing and is not as pinkish, but its early days, i'll let ya no how it goes, thanks for your help :) !! take care

I've recently gone threw the same deal. I lost a 4.5 inch yellow lab to this. I was told that it's septicemia. It starts out as a little red spot but gets bigger if not treated in time, and it can kill off other fish in the tank. I was told that it's from bacteria in the tank, and that's from not doing enough water changes.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=87726

here's the one that I started about something similar.

Water changes can help almost any condition. Clean water lowers stress and boosts the immune system.

How is the angel doing?

wow, well its stoped growing on my little one and is starting to decease in time, but it is taking along time, i will however increase the water changes while its still there and hope it will completely go! thanks for you're help!

Try a professional salt dip. Slowly dip the fish into marine water conditions. This is a treatment for almost any kind of disease. I have used this method many times and it is very effective at removing the disease. You see, many, many infections as well as parasites can tolerate either salt or fresh water, never both. In this case I would recommend a mild to medium period of time in the dip (30 secs to 2 mins).

I've heard varying opinions on the dip method. This might be effective on some open infections, but keep the following in mind:

A) The visible part of ick is the fish's immune reaction, not the parasite itself. The parasite is only vulnerable in certian life stages.

B) Any shock treatment will be stressful to the fish, which may lower his immune system.

C) The water the fish lives in may still contain the contagen. Clean the tank very well and don't trust that the contagen is gone for a month or two after you last see symptoms.

I very much agree! I recommend, after the dip, that you extremly slowly acclimate the angel to another tank you are absolutly sure is free of contagens and when I say slowly, I mean, like over a matter of 1 in a half to 2 days. :!:

Back
Top Bottom