Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

my mollie was stuck and is now acting weird

This is my first post, kinda out of necessity (sorry for the length i'm trying to be detailed.) I'm not really too knowledgeable about fish stuff. Soo we have this 20 gal tank of mollies right now there are three adult female mollies, a baby mollie and a pretty fast growing algae eater. (hopefully going to be a feeder breeder tank for a turtle once issues are resolved) I'm having a few issues but i want to focus on this one first.

I found one of the adult mollies (she's dalmatian) stuck vertically behind the filter this morning, i immediately released her and she's having trouble swimming, not using her tail fin, not moving the back half of her body, when she swims its pretty vertical, and shes laying upside down on the gravel.

It looks like a swim bladder issue yes? Can that be caused by being stuck in a weird position? or do you think its caused by something else? (we are feeding them pellet food) The male just died but idk how because i'm only here on weekends.

My boyfriend just told me she's been getting stuck behind the filter a bit recently, so obviously its time to move it out of the corner.

and lastly we have one of the little breeder separators, (she's not pregnant) and i was thinking about putting her in there so the other fish don't bother her and because she just got stuck to the filter, while i try the peas thing, but the last fish we put in there for a few days got stressed aborted her babies and then died shortly after we took her out. ( again i wasn't there for that.)

Old 03-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #2

Definitely put her in there and feed her the peas just in case. she's most likely broken something. It will take a while, but you should start to see some improvement after a few weeks. Keep the water clean as crystal and just keep her calm. She may die of stress, but if she's a fighter, she'll pull through!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Alright thanks. I also thought she may have broke something because of the restricted movement but most things say they look really deformed, and when i put her out the swim bladder was my first thought.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

There was another post that was pretty similar to your situation, I'll see if I can find it.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98
There was another post that was pretty similar to your situation, I'll see if I can find it.
Found it. Search up "injured johanni... Any ideas?" and read that.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks! I will look now.

Tags
mollie, stuck, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com