My Molly Just Flashed/Glanced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBradar3

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello :)

I have just upgraded my female silver molly and cory julii catfish to a 20 gallon freshwater tank. A few days ago I introduced a new male black lyretail molly. He looks healthy and is gradually de-stressing from the acclimation. My female has been by his side most of the time.
Today while I was watching them she suddenly glanced one of the decors twice. She's never done it before and I haven't seen her do it since, but I've lost a fish before from not noticing disease soon enough and I want to make sure she's okay (she's my favorite:fish1:).
I don't see any white spots but she's also white colored so it's difficult to be 100% positive on that.
Water parameters are 0.5/0/0-5, could it be the water, sickness, or am I overreacting?

If that first number is ammonia then you need to do water changes and maybe some Prime to detox the ammonia . Could be burning her gills and causing the flashing . I am sure someone else more experienced than me will chime in also.

Fish will scratch themselves by doing this, everyone has fish especially Poecillia species that do this, even when perfectly healthy. Unless there is visable ick, i would not treat nor worry.
If they keep doing it alot, its easy enough to go buy some quick cure or rid ick and dose the tank once or twice.

Are you using test strips or liquid test kit? The strips (I usually had great success with them UNTIL I didn't and lost almost an entire 35G community of fish due to bad reading/inaccurate strips,) can be inaccurate.

If you normally do a 25% weekly pwc, I would do 50% pwc BUT if you almost never do a pwc then I would do a 25% refill, and another 25%. See if there is any change. If it seems better, I would do a couple more back to back 25% pwc.

Do you know if the tank is cycled?
Are you using the same filter from the previous tank? If so how long?
Is it brand new filter pads/media? If used was it cleaned with untreated water from the tap?

Watch for Ich, if no change. Ich can be present before you SEE it as spots. FYI.

Also see if you see any tiny worm like things in the gills or body or anal vent.

to back would do a couple

She's glancing more :( and her abdomen is swollen; plus she's hanging out at the surface more now.
I use a liquid test. I have a new filter, it's simply the same type as the old one.
I do a pwc weekly of 40%.
The tank is still cycling, but I was told ammonia level was safe until it past .5 which it hasn't. Ammonia is currently at .25, nitrite still 0, nitrate still 5.
I feed her one tropical flake twice a day and drop half an algae pellet every two days for the catfish and suckerfish.

The new male molly had passed away by unknown causes within days of first getting him (he was immediately removed upon discovery). RIP

Have not done water change yet but noticed her breathing increased. I just placed her into the hospital tank.
PH same 7.2-7.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-5
Have aquarium salt in there as well 1tbs for 5.5 gallons.
Filter is just sponge material.
Started treating with Maracyn 2.

Back
Top Bottom