my oscar needs help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two O's in a 75 and they are as happy as can be together. the tank is in my room and sometimes at night they get spooked and just go crazy. when they do this sometimes they run into the rocks and it sends scales everywhere and leaves a nasty little gash. last night my smaller of the two must have done this and now she is not moving to well. the gash is between her gill and her eye. but the problems don't stop there. now all the sudden the other O is getting really aggresive with her and slamming her into the walls when she tries to move. this is very odd because they have mated many of times. please if any one has any suggestions please throw them my way. thanks kyle

Wish I could help you kyle. I know aggressive freshwater fish can be wierd and kind of tricky. Is they any way you could isolate her in a tank till she heals?

thats what i'm currently doing i took a plastic lid from the rubbermaid sump i made and cut it to fit in the freshwater so they couldn't get to each other now she is swimming around a little but it still worries me. i think what i might do is wait until she is completly healed up and take both fish from the tank and put them in coolers. then rearrange the tank and turn off the lights. then place both O's back in the tank and hopefully they will be dumb enough to think they are in a new environment. but i'm always open to suggestions.

I wonder if a small night light might help with the Oscars getting spooked at night? Like a moon light or a small red light?
Logan J

then rearrange the tank and turn off the lights. then place both O's back in the tank and hopefully they will be dumb enough to think they are in a new environment.

Thats a good idea, often works for many types of fish, but I really don't know Oscars. The night light is a good one too.

Can you change some decor in the tank to avoid stuff they can hurt themselves on? Dunno if this is possible, but you may give it a thought, especially if you have sharp rocks or something.

Good luck with them :!:

yeah i could do that i have some stones that i stack in there that might be the cause of the cut i'll have to look in to it. as for the rearrangement, i have done this before with the two oscars because i originally only had one oscar which i bought and put in a 10 gallon. yeah i know a 10 gallon! that lasted about a month then i got my 75 and put him in there with some convicts. the convicts had babies like every other day and would nip at my "O"s fins when he would come within a foot so i decided to trade my LFS the mating pair of convicts for another "O". this one was full size. so i took the full size o from the lfs and my oscar which was about 8 inches at the time and stuck them in coolers for about 20 minutes. rearranged the tank and turned off the lights. then put both fish in right next to each other at the same time and from that moment on they were buddies. so from my experience it worked but i'm not saying it will work for everyone. this is a difficult hobby to say that something that worked for me will work for you.

Back
Top Bottom