My phantoms died :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okyrah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, seeing as I don't think my fish had a disease, but as they are dead it could be a possibility. . .

Well here is my problem:
I just bought a new tank lrecently, and I used eco complete substrate and planted very heavily with fast growing plants. I then (the day after it was set up) bought 3 phantom tetras to start cycling the tank. (I also bought bio spira on the same day) so I don't think I did anything wrong there (but please tell me if I did, I didn't think putting 3 fish in the same tank was a problem but maybe I rushed it?). I would test the water, but I don't have a test kit yet, but it is a big priority, and as soon as I have some spending money I will buy them. I have some reason to think that the reason they died wasn't because of poor water quality, because the first few days they were acting very normal, and actively swimming and very healthy looking, but then last night the female phantom tetra was at the surface by the filter, moving her mouth really fast and not swimming, just kind of sitting there. And then she died last night, along with one of the males. The third phantom male is still alive and actively swimming in the tank (he is the only fish in there now :( ) but his color is pale (his fins aren't black like they should be, they are gray and kinda faded). I think that maybe the two males were bullying the female and that's why she died? But that doesn't explain the death of the second fish then? Maybe the other male bullied him too?

The only problem I can possibly pin their deaths on is the fact that I didn't acclimate them long enough, only about 10-15 minutes. I now realize I should have done that much longer with the drip method, but I didn't, and when they came out of the bag, they weren't swimming too well, but then later that day they were acting completely healthy with bright colors and chasing each other around. And if that is the reason they died, why didn't they die right after the acclimation?

I realize that you guys probably can't help me until I get my water tested, but maybe you can pinpoint it to something? Because I don't understand it...again maybe I rushed, but I thought the bioload (in addition to biospira and plants) could handle three small fish? Should I have only bought one?

The gasping indiciates an oxygen issue. I would suspect an ammonia spike. Take some of your water to the lfs to get tested. Do a water change for the sake of the last fish. Also if you don't have an air stone either get one or lower the water level a bit for extra splash.

Not sure if the biospira was any good, it does need to be refrigerated.

Oh I forgot to mention that she wasn't gasping in the sense like I have seen goldfish do when kept in bowls (even when I tell their dumb owners not to -_-), but it was just like she was moving her mouth really fast. I can't explain it, and it wasn't at the surface, it was up there, but she wasn't at the top...I dunno that's the best I can do to explain it. Anyways I did do a water change, and the third fish is still acting normal but his color is still faded....
Oh and the biospira was refridgerated when I bought it and I used it immediately when I got home (about 15 min later)

Last edited:
Ok that's good. Hard to say as you know without parameters. How long did you have them? I don't think it would have been an aggression issue and if the biospira was kept in the fridge it should have been good. Not likely it was parameters. It may be they weren't healthy from the lfs.

I would also think that a heavily planted tank and biospira would be more than enough to carry the bioload of three fish. Did you add a dechlorinator?

Are the plants fast-growing ones? A tank full of crypts (slow-growers) may not absorb all the ammonia like fast-growers do.

Your acclimation method may be to blame. I don't know why they seemed to act healthy and then died. But the one now that you say is faded in color - that still indicates stress. Is the temperature staying stable?

Tetras are schooling fish, so they like to be in groups, and the lone one could be feeling stressed because he is alone. If the store you bought the fish from seemed ok (you don't think you bought sick fish) I would go ahead and get a few more. Not as much as you are going to have when the cycle is done - I'd still go slowly - but a few more. If you can, get more females than males. Getting test kits should be the first thing you do before getting more fish, though, so you can check your water parameters.

Thanks guys, I'm going tomorrow to get my water tested at the petstore. I realize I should have had test kits right away, but in past experiences water quality was always stable, so I didn't really see the need...now I do though...sigh

I had the fish for about 2 days? Maybe 3 when the two died?

The tank has ludwigia, hornwort, anarchis, two crypts, baby tears, camboda and maybe one other that I don't know the name of. There are about 15 plants in there (some are multiples, I have a few hornworts and multiple ludwigias).

About the tetras being schooling fish, that is why I went ahead and bought three of them with the intent of adding about 1-3 about every week or two till I got to about 7-8 for them, unfortunately that didn't work. That is a good point, maybe his loss of color is just because he is alone? Because he is still going strong at this point, just faded is all. Also I thought it would be worth mentioning that before these three fish I had 3 rainbow sharks in the tank (about 2in long) that never showed any kind of stress and they were from the same store (it's a very reputable store, probably the best we have here).

Your right it could have been my acclimation...but that still doesn't explain why they apparently recovered and why the 3rd isn't dead. I'll definitely get you guys numbers on my water tomorrow and make test kits my biggest priority. Thanks all!

Hi, I have test kits, bought some online, so I can give numbers :D
I have 0ppm of ammonia and 0-25ppm of nitrites (I dunno the color looked closer to the yellow on 0ppm but it could have had a greenish tinge?) I didn't test for nitrates, but I don't think they would be above .25 or so? Anyways I don't think that test is real important because the plants need that and will soak that up won't they? Thanks for your help guys!

Oh and I'm considering this stocking now:
~2 female german blue rams
~5 male guppies
~5 khuli loaches/corydoras catfish
~1 bristlenose pleco

Back
Top Bottom