My poor baby (finrot or a snack)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my largest female green tiger barb, with a missing fin. I have no idea what happened. It was there one day and gone the next. She was in a 29 gal tank with other barbs. I checked the levels and every thing was good. Nobody else shows signs of any thing. She swims and eats normal. I pulled her out this morning and am setting up a qt for her. I am sure she will get better. But I want to know would one of the smaller barbs have bitten it off? The only others in there are three Corys and a queen pleco. My reference book has fin nipping and finrot with the same picture, so I am not sure.

The lighting is not the best I am still learning to take good pictures.

It was where the light pink spot is now, in the white patch.

Kinda hard to see, but I suspect if it was bitten off there would be some sort of blood spot/open type of wound. Is there one? I can't tell.

I just looked at her and you could not see it yesterday but today you can see two small (like pin head) red dots and the base of where a fin should be. So (crying) it looks worse, could it have been bitten mostly off then been hit with bacteria. Which would have made it worse. I think that may be it. Does any one know how long it will take to regrow, if it does, in the qt. despite all of this trauma she is eating and swimming like she never had it.

Allivymar there was no wound in the picture it looked as if it was just smoothed over, like nothing was wrong if you did not know that there use to be a fin there.

I just looked at her and you could not see it yesterday but today you can see two small (like pin head) red dots and the base of where a fin should be. So (crying) it looks worse, could it have been bitten mostly off then been hit with bacteria. Which would have made it worse. I think that may be it. Does any one know how long it will take to regrow, if it does, in the qt. despite all of this trauma she is eating and swimming like she never had it.

Allivymar there was no wound in the picture it looked as if it was just smoothed over, like nothing was wrong if you did not know that there use to be a fin there.

Are you treating the fish with anything? Since it is in QT, add melafix to prevent secondary infections.

Oh yes, I am using MelaFix and some aquarium salt. So far as of this morning it has not gotten worse.

:cry: After a week in QT it gave up and I found it dead out side of the tank this morning. It's fin had half grown back too.

Back
Top Bottom