My red wag plattie just die in front of me !!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david6969

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He started swimming upside down and doing spirals
Until he just die , now I have another one just swimming weird and staying at the bottom not moving his alive but not swimming ? Please
Help me tell me what's wrong :)!!

Do you have a test kit? If so test the water and post your results. Do a water change also. What size tank and what tank mates? Any other symptoms? How olds the tank?

Hey

I went to pet smart to check my water
And the guy was like wow your nitrate and nitrite are
Really high it's in the danger zone so he told me to buy
Zyme stress . My tank is like 2 weeks old and I just have platties
,2guppies one rainbow shark , one gourami , and 2 sucker fish
It's a 55 gallon , now my rainbow shark an another plattie is actin strange
Their both facing up. Their tail looks like its weighing down

david6969 said:
What's ifs and in sorry I'm new to this

Sorry, lfs is local fish store. They are notorious for giving bad advice. I edited my post a couple times, idk if you saw that

Lol yeah it's true.you sound like a expert , what should I do about
High nitrite and nitrate, please help me I love fish and I don't want them dead

david6969 said:
Lol yeah it's true.you sound like a expert , what should I do about
High nitrite and nitrate, please help me I love fish and I don't want them dead

Like I said in my original post, do a water change and read the article I posted, because you are now doing a fish-in cycle. That article will give you the info you need. Oh, also, you need to purchase your very own test kit. The api master test kit is the way to go.

Ok thanks that's what I was thinking but I ask let's art wanna be expert
And they said changing my water will kill them all and he was like don't do it just let it cycle

david6969 said:
Ok thanks that's what I was thinking but I ask let's art wanna be expert
And they said changing my water will kill them all and he was like don't do it just let it cycle

Completely the opposite. Changing the water is what will keep the fish alive. During a fish-in cycle, you will have to do lots and lots of water changes, probably daily or twice daily. Or else all of your fish will die from ammonia or nitrite poisoning. I've learned firsthand not to trust most lfs employees.

Ok I'm going to do it right now I can do it width a gravel vacuum right
And do I change my filters

Do at least a 50% change. Make sure you temperature match the water and use a water dechlorinator, do you have one? Don't do the change without it. And no, don't do anything to the filters. And yes you can use the gravel vac. Just dose the dechlor before you start filling again.

Yeah I do it's to remove chlorine from tap water I think it's jungle
Brand it says start right conditions tapwater, and remove chlorine
And do I add the API stress Zyme to it, sorry for asking a lot :(

I really wish the local fish stores would get employees that know what they are talking about!
Yes you can add the stress zyme when you do the water change.
The declorinater you have will be ok for now but I recommend using Prime it covers a larger array of water issues.
As stated before if you want to try and save those fish you are gonna be doing allot of water changes and you really need your own test kit so you know what is going on in your tank. Don't just take what the fish store tells you test for your self. The paper work in that kit will give you directions for how to use them it is easy.

I personally wouldn't use the stress zyme for two reasons.
1. It does the same thing as your water conditioner so you don't need it
2. It's a bacteria supplement/starter and those things normally do more harm than good. You can't just buy live bacteria in a bottle and be cycled. I don't trust them at all and they can cause crashes in your bacteria levels.

Back
Top Bottom