My Rubber Lip Pleco & Bettas have Ich and I have snails..help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MomsFishys

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! This is my first post & unfortunatly it's not a happy one :(

I have a sick betta & don't know what I need to do next. This is my first time with a sick fish & I've been reading so much info that I don't really know exactly what is best.

My set up is a 10 gallon tank with a divider that seperates 2 bettas, so one has about 6 gallons & the other has 4 gallons. On the 6 gallon side I have a betta, 3 ghost shrimp, 2 african dwarf frogs & 2 apple snails. One the 4 gallon side I have one betta & one rubber lip pleco.

About 3 days ago both my bettas started acting different, not moving much & staying at the bottom of the tank. I noticed one of my rubber lips had white spots...ICH! (I used to have 2 rubber lips). Yesterday we lost him :( Now, both bettas have ich & the rubber lip that is still alive has ich too. One of my bettas has gone downhill fast...he has lost color, not moving, and all of his fins look tattered & torn...he is also covered in Ich.

I have raised my temp to between 84 - 86 degrees & been doing daily 25% water changes & vaccuming gravel. I don't have a good test kit but I do have the strips with the colors that tell the water levels & they are all good on the strip. I have the 2 apple snails & also 2 clutches of snail eggs in my tank so I don't want to add salt & harm my snails.

What do I do now??? I'm afraid its too late for my bettas...that one looks so bad. I'm so sad for him! I am getting an extra tank today to move either the fish or snails/frogs into. It won't be cycled but it will be free of ich, so should I put the snails & eggs & frogs in the new tank? Should I add any of my ich water to the new tank or use all new water?

I'm sorry this is so long but this has never happend before & I have the snails, their eggs & frogs in my tank to consider too. Thank you for all your help!!

Back
Top Bottom