my sharks wont eat...HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob28

Aquarium Advice Freak
so its been three days since ive dropped my id sharks into my 150 gallon tank. they wont eat and they have gone from a grayish-silver color (normal) to a metallic pink color (not normal). my water perameters are all 0 ppm,and temp is 80degrees f.
the first couple of days i just figured they were a lil stressed and they were just getting acclimated, but now im gettin really nervous!! these lil guys are the whole reason for my being sooooooooo into this hobby, id be devistated if i lost them.
please help me out here, how do i get them to eat??? they are acting normal.....super active, they just wont eat.
their normal diet consists of shrimp pellets and the occasional frozen brine shrimp.
thanks

You have no nitrates in the tank? Are you feeding in the day or at night?

both. i usually feed them before i go to work, and when i get home.
sorry, i have 5ppm of nitrates

heres where im at. my wife told me that when i originally brought them home, they were the same way, at that time i had the tank at about 75-78 degrees. when i started treating the tank for ich, by raising the tank temp to 86-88 degrees and adding salt to the tank is when they got there color and they started eating well. they literally looked pregnant when they were done, and it was twice daily.
i finished ich treatment approx 1 week before transfering them to the 150gal. during that week the temp was 78 degrees. So when i transfered them, i made sure to have the new tank at that approx temp. i bagged them and put the bag in for 30mins, then let them loose.
my wife seems to think that they liked the high temps and salt that i was adding. Could this be a possibility?? i also have my blue lobster, 2 pictus catfish, purple spotted goby, and my7 inch common pleco in the tank, none of which have lost their color or have stopped eating.

Be patient during the day most people are at work and its quieter during the days than evenings. How long have you had the 150 running for? Plus, it's only been three days and sometimes with certain fish they are stressed for an extended period of time until they get their colors back.

Your balas are very stressed. The salt you were adding to treat the ICH also helps "de stress" your fish. It stimulates the slime coat to reproduce makin the Balas feel more at home in thier own skin. Balas can be territorial too. Do they have some where specific IE a plant or rocks to call thier own.

I was at work and am too busy to respond during the day. Please be patient. I agree the balas are stressed. Give them a day or two more to see if they eat. Also you might want to consider feeding some frozen peas in case they got constipated from their earlier feeding frenzy.

they're not bala's they're id's. they dont pay attention to anything I put in the tank.

Sorry I mean to type ID's, they are shy like balas and can get easily spooked. They are a great fish once they feel at home. I had 3 of them until they got too big. Now a friend has them, they are over 13" each now.

Back
Top Bottom