My Sick lil fishy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iluvmyfishys2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone! what's up!? i need some help with my little fishy! i have 4 fish! i have a black moor, a black moor that just turned gold, a golden fantail, and a koi. my black moor that just turned gold has the problem of his little bottom always floating up to the top! it has been going on for at least 2-3 months now! i change their 5 gallon tank every 3-5 days! they eat several times a day and they have a filter! but i'm wondering why his butt keeps on floating to the top? he then swims down and his little bottom brings him up to the top again! can someone please tell me what's wrong with my black moor that just turned gold? o and his birthday was october 31st 2003! so he's a little over a year old!

i have 4 fish!
i change their 5 gallon tank every 3-5 days!
8O
There's the problem, or where the problem started. That "tank" is far too small for those fish. Changing the water once every three-five days allows ammonia and nitrite to build up--even with a filter.
they eat several times a day
8O
Fish do not have to eat that often. Over feeding is also part of the problem. Trust me when I tell you that feeding once every other day is fine for those fish.

You need to get them into a larger tank right away. Five gallons is not enough room for a single Goldfish, let alone four, especially because they've been growing.

Goldfish changing color, especially lighter, is not something to be concerned about, and is to be expected.

Black Moors can grow around 9-10", and your other fish will get quite big as well.

Sounds like a swim bladder problem.

Do you feed him floating pellets or flakes? Egg shaped Goldfish have a tendency to ingest air, and cannot expel it, which would account for his floating problem.

I would feed slowly sinking pellets. Another thing they like is to take Tubifex Worm Cubes and press them up against the side of the tank so they stick (underwater). They should not injest any air from this.

What kind of filter do you have?

I also agree with Menagerie, overfeeding is not good. More fish die from overfeeding than underfeeding, especially in such an overstocked tank.

thanks so much guys! well i'll try the pellets...but is it okay for my other fish to be eating it too then? we usually feed them flakes! we tried several times to only feed them like one or two times a day but it just doesn't work for them, they start to get really weak and are unable to swim....we're for now trying to feed them only one scoop about 3 or 4 times a day. where do you get the Tubifex Worm Cubes? and are my other fish able to eat them too? and lastly, how big of a tank should i get? thank so much! :D

The food will be pretty much the same, but in a different form.

It's like the difference between a baked potato and a mashed potato.

I didn't feed my Goldfish for three days when I went on vacation, and there are those who have gone much longer. Trust me, feeding only once or twice a day will *not* hurt them.

Their inability to swim is caused by something else. Do they just float, lay on the bottom, or do they swim very lazily?

PetCo has Tubifex, PetSmart too I think. I like the Hikari brand, it comes in a little white container with a blue top. Your other fish will find them delicious.

Be aware that the Koi will get very very very very very large. This is a pond fish. How long have you had it? Expect something around three feet, unless I've misunderstood somehow.

For three Golds (assuming you will return the Koi.. again, unless I've misunderstood) of 6-10", you will probably want a 30+ gallon tank.

well, not feeding my fish for a couple days just doesn't work for them though...its because they are so use to eating so much that they start to get kind of weak and they stay at the bottom of the tank and not move! we'll try to feed them less, i guess.
my fish just lays at the top sometimes. he just lays on top of there, and sometimes he rests at the bottom!
how many times a day should i give them tubifex and how many pieces? could you also give me a price range on that?
well we had our koi since august 18th and he has grown tremendosly! he's bigger then the other fishies cuz he just eats all their food! we can't really return him either because we've gotten quite attached to him and we lost the reciept! and wal-mart probably won't take him back! ehhe
how much money does a 30+ tank cost? and if the fish aren't 6" yet, would it be okay for them to stay in there for a month or two, they've been living in there for over a year, and they seem pretty happy!

You can get a 29 gal kit at walmart for pretty cheap, or even take a look at the 55 gallon starter kits. It will come with hood, lights, heater, filter, etc... and that could be a good option for you. The koi will grow very big, I understand that he is a loved pet, but wouldn't you want him to be happy and healthy? It is like trying to keep a really big, really energetic dog in an apartment. They can do it, but their quality of life just isn't any good. You could always take him to a local fish store (ask first) and exchange him for store credit. If you don't do something soon, more fish will get sick, and will probably die. Either from ammonia poisoning, or something else. However, waiting a month will be okay, just be strict with water changes because your fish create a lot of waste, especially if you are feeding them that much.

Tubifex is less of a food and more of a treat. Should be fed sparingly (I'm told it can be messy to feed, but I haven't experienced that in my tank), like bloodworms (can also get these from Hikari at PetCos & PetSmarts, similar container, red top).

You can keep the Koi if you want, but it will get to be about three feet. He's bigger than the other fish because he's well.. a Koi! A 30 gallon tank will just not do it for him. He will need a pond.

30 gallon - 55 gallon tanks are very cheap when gotten off of eBay, used. Frequently they also come with stands and filters and heaters (obviously not to be used with your Goldfish - they like cold water) hoods, lights, etc. My 38 gallon cost fifty bucks and came with gravel, a two tank stand, upgraded lighting, hood, filter, powerheads, and she drove it over for free.

It can't hurt to ask the seller if they'll include established gravel from the tank, without letting it dry out - this will cycle your tank for you very quickly, and you don't have to wait the 4-6 weeks cycling time before adding your fish to their new home.

30+ tank retail can cost a bit. The Tubifex cost me somewhere around five dollars. This is not needed, but can be a treat (should not be the main diet), and isn't very expensive.

They can stay in the tank for now, but they shouldn't. It's very unhealthy for them to stay there. Do you have a test kit? I'd be surprised if your Ammonia reading was zero. To help with this, up the water changes, and make sure to do your gravel vacs.

Happy Goldfish swim around the tank, and it doesn't sound like a five gallon is giving them much room to do that.

10 gallons per goldfish is the norm and you have got to get rid of the koi give it away or sell it because if you keep it ina home aquarium your being very cruel sorry to say but lemme put it to you this way you and your family go live ina closet for a while until you understand what your doing to your fish. tkoi have been reported to live for well over 100 years under the right conditions and they do get HUGE people leave them in their wills for that reason also youd need a 30 gallon tank for the other 3 goldfish keep your tank clean because goldfish are very messy

well, not feeding my fish for a couple days just doesn't work for them though...its because they are so use to eating so much that they start to get kind of weak and they stay at the bottom of the tank and not move! we'll try to feed them less, i guess.
Fish are grazers and will eat at any chance they get. You are over feeding and putting your feelings for food on to the fish. Buy them at least a 50 gal tank--look in the local Penny Saver type paper, get a canister filter and feed the fish once a day max.
my fish just lays at the top sometimes. he just lays on top of there, and sometimes he rests at the bottom!
Have you checked the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) right before changing the tank water?
how many times a day should i give them tubifex and how many pieces? could you also give me a price range on that?
Once a week, a couple pieces per fish. As for prices, check with the Petsmart or Petco websites.
how much money does a 30+ tank cost?
You will need to research that yourself. Depending on where you are in the US and the aquarium market will determine the cost. If you are keeping the kio, get a 50 gal tank.

Finally, here's a little analogy for you:
Would you like to live in a closet for a year? Someone will dump food in a few times a day and change out the stale air once a week. You can turn around and you can live for a long time.
This is what you are doing to those fish. Now seriously ask yourself if you would be "happy" in that situation.

This site can only help so much, you must put in the effort to increase the health of your fish.

Back
Top Bottom