My tetra is literally splitting in half!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitt420dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pittsburgh! Home of the 6 Time Superbowl Champs!
Is this from overfeeding or disease? It is on one of my flame tetras and looks like a red bloody line running down the exact middle of the bottom of his body from behind the gills to his anal fin. If it were a door it would be like the hinge is his dorsal fin and it is opening from the bottom. There is also a piece of skin hanging down from the front of it. His belly looks somewhat distended but it sort of always looks that way. I just checked water params and everything checks out to be normal. I feed flake and wafers once every other day (he dosnt eat wafers). Sometimes i feed freeze dried blood worms.

im soorry about your tetra. sounds terrible. i just don't think i can help you though, im clueless! sorry. maybe post some pics?

It is so small it is tough to get a pic of. He is still alive and I posted that several days ago so I think he may make it. The piece of skin inthe front came off and now it just looks like a red 1/8th inch crack running down the underside of his body from the back of his gills to the pectoral fins i think (rear side fins). I hope he makes it! Fatty! :!:

the same thing happened to my congo tetra i had a long time ago. started with a red line under his body... eventually he stopped eating and he became bumpy...then died. good luck with fishy :)

I'll move this over to Unhealthy Fish - I don't know specifically what is wrong with the fish but I do not think he will survive, and it may be wise to remove him from the tank to protect the others. Sorry about this! :(

Well all it has been 10 days and he is still a fatty cracking open. It is alive and stomach is not so distended (very health appetite as always) but the red crack is still there on the bottom. No better no worse. Maybe it will go away but he seems to be doing fine with it the way it is!

Back
Top Bottom