My Tiger Barbs have weird swollen spots on them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyndher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone. This is my first post on this site and I need some help. For about the past week I've had weird issues with my tank. I've lost all 5 of my Albino Tiger Barbs died very suddenly. One a day for a week. I've also lost a regular Tiger Barb yesterday. He was injured and very swollen. My other 4 Tiger Barbs are acting sick. 3 of them are not eating, have very dull color and are either staying at the bottom or the top corners of the tank. Today I noticed areas on their bodies that look swollen, maybe bruised? I'm not sure what to do.

I had the water tested Friday and was told the Nitrate were high. I did a water change yesterday and put in Prime and Stability, but don't know what else to do?

Help?!

Well, water changes should be performed regularly to keep that nitrate under control, and especially if you have a fish death. Past that, do you have any pictures? What are the other tankmates? This information should help us identify the problem if possible.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How old is the tank? Size? Based on the info you've provided I'm going to guess your tank is not cycled and the fish suffered in the toxic water. Investing in an api liquid kit would be a good start...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This tank is a 20 gallon tank that I've had for over a year and the Tiger Barbs in the tanks were some of the first fish I put in this tank. This tank has 4 Tiger Barbs, 3 Gold Barbs, 3 Rosy Barbs, 1 Dwarf Gourami, and 1 Red-Tailed Shark. It has been a relatively healthy tank up until about a week ago.

I've been paying closer attention to the tank and I've noticed the sick fish have also been rubbing up against the plants and decorations. Here's the best picture I could get of them.IMG_1824.jpg

If I look at the fish from head on, they are very swollen. I'm thinking it's a fungus?

How long ago was the last fish added? What is your wc routine? How often do you test water? What do you have for a filter and was it cleaned recently?

The last fish I added were Albino Tiger Barbs about 4-6 weeks ago. Within the last week all 5 of them have died. I do a 25% water change and test the water monthly. Within the last week, I've changed the water and had it tested. I have a whisper pump, power head, and bubbler in the tank.

So you do one 25% wc a month? Do you have a filter? Or just a bubbler? A sponge filter?

You'll really have to answer all the questions as thoroughly as you can in order to help as best as I can..

This tank is a 20 gallon tank that I've had for over a year and the Tiger Barbs in the tanks were some of the first fish I put in this tank. This tank has 4 Tiger Barbs, 3 Gold Barbs, 3 Rosy Barbs, 1 Dwarf Gourami, and 1 Red-Tailed Shark. It has been a relatively healthy tank up until about a week ago.

I've been paying closer attention to the tank and I've noticed the sick fish have also been rubbing up against the plants and decorations. Here's the best picture I could get of them.View attachment 243117

If I look at the fish from head on, they are very swollen. I'm thinking it's a fungus?

What happened about a week ago? did you add a new fish or something?
When you say swollen do you mean that the scales are lifting or they just look abnormally fat?
If they are going around scratching are they any signs of ich or other parasites?
It's been eons since I dealt with tiger barbs, but if I remember they tend to produce heavy slime when dealing with parasites and tend to be more susceptible to secondary fungal infections at the wound sites.

BUT, the scratching would indicate external parasites and swollen belly would suggest internal or dropsy.

From the timeline you presented I would venture a guess that the albino barbs were harboring some parasites or infection that is just now manifesting itself.

you should also check your ph. doing 25% monthly, while adequate, will result in more dramatic swings in water quality then desired, especially ph.
You should shift your regimen to 10-15% weekly to help maintain stability with as little swing in parameters as possible.

Back
Top Bottom