Mysterious white mucus growing on catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieBunky

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've added 7 new fish to my tank in the past week, I've done a brief water change, added a few more stones, plants & general decor today. All was well until I noticed one of my catfish (which I can't remember the species name) seems to have a thick, white mucus growing over his entire body except his head. Some of this white mucusy stuff is peeling off & flapping around on his body. He is about 4-6 years old but for a catfish that's pretty young. He is still breathing but he is laying on his side but not moving.

Does anyone know what this white stuff is? How can I fix it? Will it spread to my other fish?

Also if anyone knows what species my little guy is, please let me know. I've added a picture for you all to see.

Please help, this guy means a lot to me :(

Thank you

Attachments

• 1397509857690.jpg
    1397509857690.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 172
Hello, could be the slime coat but excess produced to fight off something. Did it happen very quickly?

I would QT for sure.

I hardly ever see him because he buries himself in one of the plants. I cut this plant down two days ago because it had overgrown & that's when I noticed it. He has been in a breeding net over the past two days & this white covering stuff has clumped into areas mostly near his head & it is still thick. He is back in the main tank now & he is not moving but still breathing. This is the best picture I could get of his current condition. What does QT mean? I'm not very good at forum language haha

Attachments

• 1397659656200.jpg
    1397659656200.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 141
QT mean quarantine. Or putting him temporarily in a separate tank so he does not infect your other fish. 5 gallon buckets work in a pinch. Just add an airstone and heater.

No I haven't tried melafix & the other fish are fine. He's got white spots all over his head as well

My tanks are my pride & joy. No one can take them from me.

I have good news! I just came downstairs to look at my tank & there was no sign of Mr. Fish (a very imaginative name I know, but I was about 10 when I came up with it) & I presumed he was dead & had been eating. I looked around my whole tank & couldn't see him, then I remembered there is a coconut hiding place near where he was yesterday. So I lifted up this coconut & there he is, wriggling around & swimming normally just like his normal self :) the white spots on his head & the thick white stuff along his body is nearly all gone. I think it's just been stress because I've changed quite a bit of the tank in a short space of time, but thank you all for your help :) I'm so relieved he's okay. I still don't know what species he is, if anyone has any idea please let me know :) thanks again :D

Silly question but the white spots weren't ich (white salt grains)?

Good news he / she is doing better. :)

Terrible connection here to research anything.

It doesn't sound fungal or bacterial. I would have suspected parasites or some sort of skin infection maybe - probably into the gills as well. Hoping for a full recovery, would be keen on any further posts to find out how he improves :)

I don't know what the white spots were, but I'm guessing it was nothing serious as it's all cleared up by itself & none of the other fish are infected. Whatever it is, he's better now & just needed to chill out, a bit like us when we have a cold & just want to sleep XD I'll keep you updated ^_^

Little guy is doing awesome, all the spots are gone & so is the white slimy stuff. His breathing was really slow & you couldn't even tell if he actually was breathing at one point but it has all gone back to normal now. He got stuck in a tiny castle today & now has a few white scratches down his body but no bleeding & he has had scratches before so he should be fine. Mr. Fish is being his usual self & hiding at every possible chance. I will upload a picure soon if I can get him out of hiding :) All is happy in the tank :)

Good news :)

Maybe the scratches opened up infection sites? Just wondering as I've noticed one b/n catfish here looking too big to get in and out of his hidey hole cave. Thinking of re-arranging but kind of happy as it is.

Same here, I'd definitely get them again. My neighbour took a female back to the lfs that got too big. Wish I had of taken her now as have 3 males and 1 female.

I saw a breeding pair of bristlenoses in my lfs, the female was albino & the male was black but they were £30 :( my tank is too small & really overstocked at the moment so I couldn't get them :(

Back
Top Bottom