Mystery Betta Illness(es)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaStudent

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Back in June I bought a male delta tailed Betta and it immediately rekindled my love of fishkeeping. While subsequent tanks bought are doing well, however, my first betta seems to have a host of disconnected symptoms with no apparent or obvious illness to tie them together.

First is his fin rot, which was caused by a sudden bought of tail biting that happened after his first tank began to leak and I rather abruptly re-homed him. The stress caused him to bite his tail a little- no big deal. Parts of it are growing back, though the process is a slow one.

Second is what appears to be a small, round, flat, disc like... thing on his right gill. I can't tell if this is part of a scale that has come loose, but it is visible to the naked eye. For a little while, he would hold that gill open now and then though that behavior has since ceased and it looks as though part of whatever the thing on his gill was has broken off.

Third is his behavior. He swims rather erratically, often moving in a twitching or jerking motion. I've looked for signs of ICH, velvet, or other external parasites but have found none. He has been swimming like this more or less since I got him.

Fourth is his fins. All his fins, not just his tail, are turning transparent it seems. The bright red color in his finnage isn't so much becoming duller as it is transparent. I thought at first this might be marbling but now I'm not so sure.

Finally, as of last night it appears as though he's missing a couple of scales between his eyes above his nostrils. He has no tank mates aside from a very young mystery snail that hitchhiked his way in on a red rubin sword plant, and he has no rough aquarium decorations. His heater is kept in a compartment of the aquarium that he can't reach, so it can't be heater burn, either. The only culprit I could possibly think of is his betta log.

ammonia: 0 PPM
nitrites: 0 ppm
nitrates: 8 ppm
Tank size: 5.5 gallons
Temperature: ~77.7 Fahrenheit
PH: 8
His tank is planted with several different varieties of sword plants and is becoming more heavily planted by the week as I add on new plants. His filter is on its lowest setting and the flow barely even rustles the leaves on his plants, and is pointed downwards towards the substrate so as to not interfere with his ability to swim. He is fed Hikari pellets with an occasional frozen brine shrimp or two, He has a course sand substrate covered in a river rock like gravel. I use Seachem prime as a dechlorinator. His tank is also dosed with a small amount of Seachem's Flourish once per week.

That's all the info I can think of right now. He is still active and eating but it seems as though he keeps displaying more and more symptoms that I'm afraid will develop into something more serious if they go unchecked. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably later stages of fin rot. are you using test strips to test your water? I hear most people have found them extremely unreliable. Id get a pro kit if i were you. Bet theres something going on with your water.

Oh yeah he definitely has fin rot, I've been treating him for that for a few weeks now. And all the readings I've posted have been with a liquid test kit. I test each tank twice per week and haven't noticed and spikes in ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. It's possible there could have been a small spike. Even though this tank is new, it was seeded from the filter media from his old, well established tank, though, so I can't imagine that's it. I have removed the carbon from his filter for his fin rot treatment, I suppose some of this might be caused by presence of heavy metals in the water? Not that I know this area to be known for that, but I do know activated carbon removes that. Wondering if it's possible since most all symptoms aside from the fin rot started after removing his carbon.

Well then... id say it is possible that he just needs fresh rinsed carbon and his filter cleaned thoroghly. Maybe its some bacterial build up in the filter. Other than the heavy metal theory you have... thats all i can think of. I wouldnt have a clue where else to look.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom