Mystery growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mamachan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve searched and searched and nothing seems to fit with what we are experiencing. We have a 30g tank with 6 glo fish. They were in a 75 gal but our filtration system died and instead of purchasing new we chose to bring an older 30g out of storage. We put in 25% of the old tanks water since it was in good shape and added the rest fresh RO water. I ran the new filter and added decor for a few days then transferred the fish. A week later and we have these pink fuzzy balls all over the bottom of the tank as well as some clearish slimy fungus type stuff in blobs in a few locations. I took a few of the balls out and they dry pink and hard. About the size of a pea. I’ve tried removing as much as I can and have been doing 25% water changes the last two days. Our fish are being affected by whatever it is going on - we lost 2 today and the remaining are mostly uninterested in food and spend much of their time at the top of the tank. I’ve never seen these balls/slime before. (Tested with strips today, all levels look good. We have an air stone going and fluval30 filter on high) Please help this clueless mama out, our local fish shops are chains and the kids don’t know what these things are either.

Attachments

• 2D7B7FF6-B2BA-4927-9486-F979922C9331.jpg
    2D7B7FF6-B2BA-4927-9486-F979922C9331.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 7D37C2DB-CBFE-4DC7-819A-B24E3F95F98D.jpg
    7D37C2DB-CBFE-4DC7-819A-B24E3F95F98D.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 25
Wow! something must have affected the 30g aquarium during storage to be able to grow mysterious pink peas; get the fish out of the tank immediately. The fish tank you're using right now clearly has some weird things going on and I don't think they're good for the fish... Glofish are my passion too, and you should buy a new fish tank because I don't see any way to clean up this weird 30g tank full of pink blobs.

You posted this two days ago, I hope your Glofish are doing great, but please change them to a new tank as soon as possible !

Thanks, got remaining fish moved into a temporary housing and starting over,
Scrubbing this one. Kids admitted they played with it while in storage. Might have been tapioca balls dumped in a long time ago that expanded after soaking and we couldn’t see the difference mixed in the gravel.. Ugh, so frustrating.

I know right xD kids can be so annoying sometimes, I have a little sister (but she's old enough to not flip the tank over) So happy your Glofish are better now!

Back
Top Bottom