Mystery problem - please help :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ursi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm so stuck. My Molly has something on her face, and I've tried treating and can't work out what it is, if anyone has any idea or can point me in the right direction of what it looks like I would be so grateful.
Tank size 39 gallons (us) 151 litres.
Parameters : 0/0/5 7.5

image-365023665.jpg

image-3512599863.jpg

These top two are of her face today. I treated with anti ulcer and fin rot treatment advised by my LFS. The next two are of her face last week.

image-2580969623.jpg

image-3086145659.jpg

Does anyone have any idea??

:(
Thanks in advance!

Does it look fuzzy at all to you? Or just sort of pitted? Any other observances about this fish or the mystery face thing? Did it injure itself?

Thanks for replying, no it's not fuzzy it looks as though the scales are falling off and white scar tissue is underneath, it doesn't look infected. She didn't injure herself as farad I know, the scales started raising and falling off its been on going for a few weeks and I've tried treating and can't clear it up. She is eating fine, no weight loss, swimming fine though she is a little lethargic, but nothing dramatic, that's why I'm so lost, I've spent so long on google and I can't find anything to give me a clue as to what is happening and why, I've been to the LFS, they dont know either. I test my water every week and since this on her face I've been doing 50% change once a week to keep water clean for her

Update; I've been treating with melafix, and salt, her face looks as though its trying to heal but it's becoming very white and lumpy, with a red undertone to it, I can't get great photos but I have a few. Her appetite is brilliant and she's very active, like the lethargy I mentioned before has gone.
I don't suppose you have any idea whether I should carry on as I am or should I try something different to try help her? She looks as though she is paler all over than she used to be. She's my biggest Molly at 3 1/2 inches long, I don't think it's contagious as no other fish have it, so I'm now wondering if its something to do with her in particular rather than an illness, I honestly don't know.
If anyone is able to help, id be most grateful, and thanks betta gal for your help so far!!

image-4196644517.jpg

image-2019058721.jpg

image-4064651810.jpg

image-2262911533.jpg

Np. Is it just the one side of her face? I was thinking maybe scar tissue but didn't you say the scales fell off and left this? Melafix isn't an antibiotic but it helps with stress. That might be why it's helping. Salt is fine as long as its aquarium salt. I'd say keep the same unless we figure out its bacterial.

Np. Is it just the one side of her face? I was thinking maybe scar tissue but didn't you say the scales fell off and left this? Melafix isn't an antibiotic but it helps with stress. That might be why it's helping. Salt is fine as long as its aquarium salt. I'd say keep the same unless we figure out its bacterial.

Yes that's right sorry the scales raised, fell off and have left this, and it's only on the right side of her face. Yep also to the salt it's aquarium salt I got from my LFS. I tried treating with internal bacterial meds, it made no difference. Thanks for your help

I really need some help deciding what to do. This Molly is still the same, her face healed over white, and now looks like it is blistering, she is being picked on constantly by the other fish, and is staying in one place, her body is bent and head sloping down and she's breathing heavily. She's gone down hill in the last week, and I don't know what to do. Her tail is clamped, and the scales falling off is spreading over the top of her head, yet I still can't cure it no matter what I try. Water parameters are exactly the same as my first post, I've been doing 50% changes, using aquarium salt, melafix, anything that may help but nothing is. I cannot quarantine her as I don't have any spare filters and only a 2.5g empty tank which is way too small to even consider putting her in. Is it time to admit defeat? Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated.

image-3648145213.jpg

image-2796986886.jpg

These photos are taken just now, sorry they aren't very good, she's currently in that position with her head up but she changes so the angle is the same but head lower than her tail.
Thanks in advance

To me, that looks really uncomfortable. And with getting picked on and hiding, I'd say its bothering her a lot. It almost looks like its distorting her face. She looks like she's bloated on top of it all.

I personally do not like euthanasia. I do not approve of the "approved" ways to do it. With that said, if you prefer to euthanize her, by all means, you can. Don't let me tell you you can't do what you think is best.

To me, that looks really uncomfortable. And with getting picked on and hiding, I'd say its bothering her a lot. It almost looks like its distorting her face. She looks like she's bloated on top of it all.

I personally do not like euthanasia. I do not approve of the "approved" ways to do it. With that said, if you prefer to euthanize her, by all means, you can. Don't let me tell you you can't do what you think is best.

It is bothering her, very much so. Her face has become distorted and very white, it looks like she has blisters on her face, I don't know how better to describe it. I don't like euthanasia either, I'm sat here watching her trying to decide what is best to do, I've spent a lot of time and money trying to help her, and I would spend it all over again, but I don't think it's going to help. I'm so torn, she looks in pain and so unhappy, and I don't have any options to help her more than I'm doing already. Just stuck, I don't want to lose her, really don't, but leaving her like that is making me question whether I'm being crueler leaving her? Just don't know :(

Maybe try putting her in the little tank and go get a filter and probably a clear container from Walmart. It at least would stop the picking on. If money is an issue, I'll think on what to do.

I've been told what I'm doing to my DG is cruel. He has a sore on his head that won't heal. Sometimes it really bothers him, and other times, there's no difference. I can't figure out what it is to treat it. Tried parasite after several said hole in the head even though my research showed it wasn't. Didn't help. Some think it would be better to euthanize, but IMO, it doesn't bother him a whole lot, and I don't see it justifiable to kill him for one sore. Moral of the story: everyone has their opinions about what is best. Not everyone will be happy with your decision on care. If you feel she needs euthanized, then you can euthanize. If you don't feel she's to that point yet, or you're personally against how it's done or the concept all together, you don't have to.

Maybe try putting her in the little tank and go get a filter and probably a clear container from Walmart. It at least would stop the picking on. If money is an issue, I'll think on what to do.

I've been told what I'm doing to my DG is cruel. He has a sore on his head that won't heal. Sometimes it really bothers him, and other times, there's no difference. I can't figure out what it is to treat it. Tried parasite after several said hole in the head even though my research showed it wasn't. Didn't help. Some think it would be better to euthanize, but IMO, it doesn't bother him a whole lot, and I don't see it justifiable to kill him for one sore. Moral of the story: everyone has their opinions about what is best. Not everyone will be happy with your decision on care. If you feel she needs euthanized, then you can euthanize. If you don't feel she's to that point yet, or you're personally against how it's done or the concept all together, you don't have to.

Money is an issue to an extent, I will go to pets at home tomorrow and see what I can find filter wise to fit in the tank, it's so small, I will need to find a small heater too I might already have one though. I don't feel comfortable euthanising her, I ask myself whether she has any hope of getting better, and my answer is I just don't know. There fore I can't make the decision to end her life until I'm sure the answer is no she 100% won't recover. Ill look tomorrow to see what I can do to separate her, a tank divider would be better for her, ill go and see what I can to temporarily and afford and see how I get on, thanks. I believe all life is equal, and I just don't want her to suffer more than she has to. Always hard to make a decision.

Also to say about you DG, sounds a similar situation with not knowing how to treat, I hope you find a way of helping him and he doesn't deteriorate :)

It looks like some kind of tumor to me honestly:( is there anyway u can get a breeding net? It won't be as expensive as a tank but it will keep her from being terrorized by the others.

It looks like some kind of tumor to me honestly:( is there anyway u can get a breeding net? It won't be as expensive as a tank but it will keep her from being terrorized by the others.

It's growing up over her eye, or beginning to, and it's spreading all over her face. She's just the same as yesterday unfortunately. I have a breeder box the floating ones, my only problem with that is she is 3 1/2 inches long, last time I measured her an she would have problems turning around.. I'm concerned its starting to go up over her eye?

Unfortunately my Molly just went downhill rapidly, and I lost her a few days back :( rip

Back
Top Bottom