Natural Ich Treatment AFTER meds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keryn7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

We are experiencing our first case of ich in our 29 gallon freshwater tank. Since we are quite new at this, we jumped right to using Quick Cure (at half dose so as not to harm the scaleless ones). We are now entering day 5 and no longer see visible signs of the disease.

However, I believe instructions state to continue on for up to 10 days, but I am very concerned about using these meds for so long w/ my sensitive fish. I am now learning more about the natural method of ich eradication and wished we would have gone that route from the beginning.

Regardless, my question is, would it be advisable to stop the meds and NOW start the natural method (temp & oxygen increases, water changes etc.) If so, how specifically should we go about that at this point?

Thanks!

Currently have:
2 swordtails
1 lyretail
1 platy
2 guppies
2 kuhli loaches
4 glass catfish

Last edited:
Hi All,

We are experiencing our first case of ich in our 29 gallon freshwater tank. Since we are quite new at this, we jumped right to using Quick Cure (at half dose so as not to harm the scaleless ones). We are now entering day 5 and no longer see visible signs of the disease.

However, I believe instructions state to continue on for up to 10 days, but I am very concerned about using these meds for so long w/ my sensitive fish. I am now learning more about the natural method of ich eradication and wished we would have gone that route from the beginning.

Regardless, my question is, would it be advisable to stop the meds and NOW start the natural method (temp & oxygen increases, water changes etc.) If so, how specifically should we go about that at this point?

Thanks!

Currently have:
2 swordtails
1 lyretail
1 platy
2 guppies
2 kuhli loaches
4 glass catfish

Welcome to the forum!

If your not seeing any signs then your just wanting to be cautious? I don't like chemicals and try not to use them, I just fought ich in my tank and just did heat and salt.

If you wanted to do the heat method, slowly raise it to 86 degrees, lower your water level so the filter with agitate the surface more creating more oxygen, also you add an air stone, you'd want to do 50% water changes every 2nd day making sure to clean the substrate and decor really well, do this for 10-14 days.

If you went the heat and salt it would be 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons everyday, but I don't know enough about fish friends to say go ahead with the salt. My african cichlids did just fine and so did my loaches.

I'd wait for others to chime in but you could start the heat method now, if your stopping the meds.

have you removed the carbon before treating? Also it make be a good idea to do a massive water change before starting the other natural method. I'm not sure how some medications react with high temps.

hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom