Need Betta fish help. Pretty stuck on identifying problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SiftheWolf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My female Koi/Marble betta fish seems to have a cloudy(?) eye. She also spends most of her day glass surfing on the front and back of the tank. She glass surfs more than any betta I have ever owned to the point of concern.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

The tank she is in is a Fluval Spec V, (so 5 gallons)
This tank was set up 12 days ago with adding TSS exactly per directions,
(on day 9 of TSS I started making PWC using Prime about 30% every 2 days because of the concern of cloudy mucous eye.)
I also monitored this tanks water conditions like a hawk every day because I was doubtful of TSS, but it seems to be working well for me at least.

I have just made a water change again 2 days later after my first water change of around 35% dosing with prime. I have not added any medications because I cannot identify the reasoning of her obsessive glass swimming and cloudy eye.
She has relatively soft plants. not silk but not the cheap kinds, a sand substrate and a few aquarium pebbles. I also buffered the flow of the Fluval Spec V with the Fluval prefilter sponge.
To help her glass surfing I've lined the plants to the back of her glass swimming path, turned off the lights, added a white paper backing to stop the reflection, it seems to not be changing anything.

I am not sure what kind of filter the Fluval Spec V is, but I use both carbon activated, sponge inside and the bio pellets.
It is only her in the tank.
I have put an Indian almond leaf into the tank, she also has a stable temperature of around 78 degrees monitoring the thermometer and heater.

I had gotten her from petco approximately 12 days ago, and acclimated her in her cup for awhile before putting her in.

I feed her and my male freeze dried blood worms and 1-2 pre-soaked pellets.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated as I'm concerned for her.
Hopefully the picture I attached shows you the strange mucus cloud on her right eye well enough. She doesn't stay still much and tries to eat everything.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 76
Perhaps she's still adjusting to the tank? I got a female betta about the same time from petsmart and she's behaving relatively the same at this moment. They aren't kept in good conditions at all in the chain stores, I'm thinking it has to do with that. Even the mucus-y looking eye. Maybe she has some blindness? I'd keep checking parameters and doing regular water changes. How's the pH and temp?

I do not think shes blind because she responds very well to my finger, also the mucous seems to be shedding off as if its "loose"

the ph is about 7.6 id say, I don't check the ph as often as I should, the temperature is a regular 78 degrees.
I was wondering if Kanaplex would be a good treatment for her cloudy mucous eye.

The PH itself is less important than keeping is stable at this point, just watch for any wild swings. If you DO try any medicines, you need to remove the carbon from the filter.

It sounds like you put her in a tank that hadn't been cycled yet? TSS = Tetra Safe Start, right? Just making sure.

Could she have injured it on any decorations in the aquarium. I've noticed with my bettas they're more prone to injuring themselves on plastic plants. I've switched to only using live plants and silk plants in their tank. Usually that's more with their fins, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that she got over exuberant in her bigger space and swam into something she shouldn't have. Also what substrate are you using. Maybe a particle of sand or gravel hadn't settled when she was put in and irritated it? Also, popeye is a thing. And keeping the water perfect is really the only thing you can do unless it's an infection.

Yes it's tetra safe start.
the tank was showing nitrates and still is showing nitrates as I do PWC with prime every 48 hours.
I started Kanaplex 2 days ago and removed the carbon filter- she seems to be responding to treatment.

However my male now has a white spot on his fin, as I might have cross contaminated a bacterial infection to him accidentally, do you think the white spot should be treated with kanaplex as well?
His tank has also been cycled with TSS, and when I first got him from petsmart he came home with me having pinhole fin rot. they are healing but now this white spot appears.

pic (hopefully you can see it)
And yes his water parameters are fine,
Heated and filtered.
I gave him a PWC of 30% with Prime.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom