Need help asap plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moobs99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi

Tank is a jewel 180lt
5 angel fish

Right so I was just about to start my weekly 25% water change and noticed one of my angles had like a blister on its side ( see photo ) and he started to swim on his sod a little so i tested the water and ( see photo ) for the results nitrate is high at about 40/80 ( they look the same to me ) so I'm in the pro of doing a 50% water change,
I have prime that I will be adding once iv done the water change,

Can anyone help me identify what the blister thing is on my angel ?

Thanks

Attachments

• image-1507472972.jpg
    image-1507472972.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3046455861.jpg
    image-3046455861.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 96
This is the nitrate test after the 50% wc

Attachments

• image-3289075104.jpg
    image-3289075104.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 90
Ok just tested my tap water and it's at 10ppm so iv dosed with prime, and will be doing 30% water changes daily till I get it down to 10, is there any other way of lowering nitrate ?

What type of filtration are you using, and how long has aquarium been setup?

This tank I got on Tuesdays but took everything from the old tank which was 100 lts, the filter is a ehime pro II which has been up running for 10 months,

Ok woke up this morning to find him stick to the intake of the filter he has sadly passed on, I'm about to do another 50% Water change,

I suggest you change a few things.

First thing, you really need to reconsider your stock. 5 or now 4 angels to two to many. I'm not talking about it being overstocked. I'm thinking about aggression. I have 4 in a 75g or 283ltr tank and its ok now because they are only the size of a quarter. I totally expect that to change as they grow. Also what is the other stock in the tank if any?

Second thing, If you can get a product called purigen by seachem. I would. It's helps remove nitrate and toxins in the water. It goes in your filter lasts for 3 to 6 months and its rechargeable with bleach and water. So you only need to buy it once every couple of years if that.

Hope this helps

Keeping the 4 in the tank is only for a few weeks as I'm waiting on a diff tank cycle, iv just done my 2nd 50% wc of the day and the nitrate is still in the 40ppm !! I dosed the tank with prime last night which is supposed to remove ammonia/nitrite/nitrate...

It doesn't remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, it just detoxifies them so it's not harmful to the fish. So when you test even it will show up with those even though it's not toxic.

That's what I ment lol but why after a 50% water change is it still at 40ppm ?

Oh my bad sorry, but with a 50% water change you would be removing about 20ppm but then you're adding in 10 ppm so it would still be about 30 ppm

Yes just 4 adult angels and 3 baby angels that I had in there for a few days but there now in a separate tank

Check the expiration date on your test kit, if you have another aquarium test the nitrate level in that one, test the water from the tap, thats if the kit is okay. If necessary take a sample of water to your local lfs, and let them do a nitrate test. Sorry I did not respond sooner was very busy today....

Oh!!! Now it makes more sense!!! I was thinking there was no way the bio load from four adult angels was that high. Some thing had to be missing.....adding four more angel's baby or not. And the numbers change. Your system wasn't prepared for the increased bio load the baby's adding. I know you think babies..."how much could it really be!? Not much!" But add days to it. Plus Ammonia building and hanging around while the system played catchup....make a lot more sense.

Ah right so shall u carry on with daily wc till its come right down ?

Back
Top Bottom