need help!!... early treatment for parasites/fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alowishus_6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank with a wide variety of fish (including two fresh water eels) and I detected what appears to be either parasites or fungus on one of my albino barbs (perhaps both... he had a blood red mark on one side that seemed to move around on him, as well as near the base of his fins...also what looked like a white film on the top of his head.) I quarantined him, but it was too late and he died earlier today. As for the other fish, the other oddities I notice are cloudy eyes and red rashlike surface on the side of one of my albino catfish, as well as a red color on the base of some of the fins of my bala sharks... does this sound like a parasite problem... or fungus... or vibrosis?? Everywhere I read online, it states that early treatment is vital, so I hope I am not too late for all my fish!!

There was one other time when I had fungus in my tank, and after using the proper dosage of anti-fungus medicine... I lost almost all my fish soon after, as though it was the medicine that finished them off, so I am so afraid to add any medicine in fear that it will happen again, but it is obvious that if I don't do anything it is bound to spread.

If anyone can properly diagnose my problem, and tell me the best way to go about treatment, it would be greatly appreciated... especially which brand of product is thee safest for my fish (even those that have no ailments at all)... thank you to everyone who can provide some answers!!

-Cory

First thing to check is water parameters; whats your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH levels? And water temp? Also, any new additions? How many fish/what kinds are in the tank? How often do you water change/gravel vac?

Red color on the base of fins is usually indicative of septicemia; a bacterial infection. Cloudy eyes are also a sign of infection. Poor water parameters can stress fish enough to make them susceptible to infection, as well as parasites. Lets start with your parameters so we know what we have to work with.

Back
Top Bottom