Need help fast!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just checked on my 120 gal tank and it looks like my 2 kissing gourami's have "ich"
I see that they have white/clear like spots starting to form on their fin's.
I also have angels,blue& gold gourami's, and 2 pleco's.
What should I do as I have never had to treat for this?
I'm leaving for Vegas in the morning and need to get a move on this.
If I salt, how much and won't it kill my pleco's?
I can always move them to the 29 gal if I have to.
Any advice out there??
Thanks!!

Whaen my tank got it I used "Aquarium Treatment 6 - Anti White spot". You only put it in every 4 days I think so depending on how long your trip is, this may be the best option. But I am not very experienced. Good Luck.

Didja read the article I wrote on ich pondmom? If not, you'll find it in the articles section above :) Do read it, I think it will answer all your questions!

Just read the article. Nice job!!
I think i'm going to do the heat and salt since I already have the 2 on hand.
So, now my question.
How much salt for a 125gal tank?

Yep! Mine was :)

When are you leaving? Tomorrow morn? Eeek. It will take a couple of days to up the salt to the proper levels; you don't want to add too much too quickly (maybe 1 ppm a day). I dunno exactly how much cause I can't do math this early in the morn LOL but 2 ppm is a little less then a quarter cup aquarium salt per 10g. So it'll take a load of salt to get your tank up to that level. I dissolved mine first, and added it slowly to the tank. I STRONGLY suggest grabbing a hydrometer from the lfs to make sure the levels are correct; I got a SeaTest one. Cost me around $11. Turned out I needed a little less then the recommended (each batch of salt contains diff levels of chloride it seems).

You may want to do just the heat treatment; if you keep your tank at around 80F or higher, you can up it a degree and a half every 6 hours. Its pushing it a little, but should give the fish (assuming they all can handle the higher temps for short periods and I've don't know many that wouldn't) enough time to acclimate. Just be sure, if you do, to add extra aeration as it will decrease the amount of O2 in the water. It DOES work! We've had a number of folk here recently use that method with great success.

Terry~

"IF" I add salt, my pleco's will be fine, right?
Do Angels and Gourami's like salt? Can they handle it?
I've only dealt with koi and goldfish for salt reasons. Never tropical fish.
I just used a salinity calculator and it says for 0.1ppm add 1# of salt for the 120gal tank. I've used a nylon stocking and just hung it over the inside of the tank . works great!!
I already have an airpump w/airwand that are suctioned to the bottom of the tank and gravel that covers the wands. This gives off a wonderful affect that the fish like and also helps circulate the water on top(no dead spots here) I don;t have live plants yet so I don't have to worry about that.
My flight out tomorrow is 7:45am but out of the house at 5am. It's just a short trip(5 days)
Why now? couldn't this have waited :x

Ok, I have used the heat method, and it works. Gotta get the tnak @ 86 + degrees and keep it there for 7 to 10 days.

I keep 1tbsp per 10 gal in mine all the time, I didn't add any more when I started my last treatment, I did use an ick med. just to speed things up but the high temp works just by it's self. Ick can't live at 86 degree or above.

Back
Top Bottom