Need help: fish dying :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have about 10 guppies, 2 scissortail rasboras, 1 galaxy rasbora, 1 corydora, 1 platy and 1 pleco in a 55 gallon tank. It seems everyday I find another guppy dead and it seems their tails have been picked. Who would be the culprit? The water parameters are where they should be. Ideas please? Thanks so much!

I have about 10 guppies, 2 scissortail rasboras, 1 galaxy rasbora, 1 corydora, 1 platy and 1 pleco in a 55 gallon tank. It seems everyday I find another guppy dead and it seems their tails have been picked. Who would be the culprit? The water parameters are where they should be. Ideas please? Thanks so much!

Well you have social fish without groups, that can cause odd behavior. Rasboras needs groups of their own species. Are you sure it's not fin rot ? Or Guppies dying and being nibbled after death ?
I've heard of Mollies being bullies, but Platies are usually fine.

How many males and females of Guppies ?

What is your Ammonia ?
Nitrates ?
Exact readings may help.

Nitrates 20
Nitrite 0
Hard Water
About 6.6 ph
Did a 20% water change last night

I'm not sure they are not being nipped after but I feel like I notice them soon after they die. How do I go about curing or testing for fin rot?

Oh and the one platy was the only survivor from when I bought and moved the tank and my dwarf gourami picked off some of my fish before I removed him a few weeks ago, which is why I have some singles. :)

I don't have a tester for ammonia. Wouldnt my nitrates by higher if it were an ammonia issue? Sorry, not trying to question you, just something I honestly don't know so would like to learn. Do you fix ammonia issues the same way? Water changes? Thanks again for your help!

I don't have a tester for ammonia. Wouldnt my nitrates by higher if it were an ammonia issue? Sorry, not trying to question you, just something I honestly don't know so would like to learn. Do you fix ammonia issues the same way? Water changes? Thanks again for your help!

Yes, water changes. PWCs can fix a lot of issues. I'd get an Ammonia test ASAP and test your tap water as well.

Back
Top Bottom