Need help identifying this disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I built a new aquarium (60L) that is planted and consists of a betta, 2 pairs of dwarf gouramis and 4 glass catfish. I recently noticed that one of my glass catfish has some white spots on it. I looked up to realise there is something called Ich. But I am not so sure it is Ich because the white spots are clustered toegehter and looks more like a fungal patch. Could you please help me identify what it is and how it can be treated? I am new to the hobby. Although I have done a bit of reading, I am inexpereienced. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• catfish disease.jpg
    catfish disease.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 66
Hi I kept glass cats and noticed the odd one off mine had the same mark, it happened when mine where either stressed or injured. It doesn't look like ich too me.
What's your water readings?

I apologise I didn't notice the cotton wool substance on it. If its injury it hasn't anything attached.

Looks like columnaris to me.

Thank you, after looking up some images in the internet, it does look like Columnaris rather than ich, based on the location and appearance. I should have quarantined the fish before putting them into the aquarium. Thank you for the reply, I will look it up to see how it can be treated.

I apologise I didn't notice the cotton wool substance on it. If its injury it hasn't anything attached.

Yes, there is a cotton wool like attachment near its head and seems to be Columnaris, as suggested by King Fisher.

Thank you, after looking up some images in the internet, it does look like Columnaris rather than ich, based on the location and appearance. I should have quarantined the fish before putting them into the aquarium. Thank you for the reply, I will look it up to see how it can be treated.
Dose both Kanaplex and Metroplex at the same time. They're finding out this is treating columnaris. Dose as instructed and for at least two weeks.

Dose both Kanaplex and Metroplex at the same time. They're finding out this is treating columnaris. Dose as instructed and for at least two weeks.

Thank you for the info, do I have to treat the whole tank, since it seems to be a contagious disease? I have already isolated the fish from the community tank.

I'd remove the sick fish in quarantine and treat with meds. Keep a close eye on the main tank to see if any others become infected. It doesn't always spread to the rest of the fish.

I had 3 to and 1 of them got the same as ur have he passed away sadly

My glass catfish just developed weird white marks inside of his belly. Its not ick or columnaris. They are inside of him like he ate white gravel (i dont have white gravel) then this morning i noticed its in between his eyes, now. I wondering if its cancer. In hospital tank now, worried about my other fish

I had 3 to and 1 of them got the same as ur have he passed away sadly
Oops, mine is still alive. He is in the hospital tank now, but he still has the white marks (though a bit less than before) even after a week of treatment with medicine.

Mine is not ick or columnaris. Its internal not on the body

He just got bad again. :(

Now his spine is bent, he has stopped eating as well.

Can I do anything more for the poor guy?

Attachments

• IMG_6323.jpg
    IMG_6323.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 35
Columnaris is very hard to cure. To the point that a lot of people euthanize the fish. The only other disease I think it might be is fish TB.

I guess I have to euthanize him then. Don't want him to be suffereing anymore.

Just an update: Poor guy succumbed to his disease today. I thought I could save him but he was too far gone. :(

Back
Top Bottom