Need help identifying this parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hywaydave

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 53 gallon tank with one pumpkinseed and one bluegill, both taken from the same pond at the same time, about 3 weeks ago. Tank is cycled and has been running for 6+ weeks using the fishless cycling process; my ammonia and nitrites have been 0ppm for 2+ weeks, while nitrates are generally 5ppm or less. No fish existed in this tank prior to these two.

The bluegill came home with a white worm-like parasite attached to it's pectoral fin, about a half inch long. I was going to try and get him out of the tank and remove it with tweezers, but put it off a few days and then it was gone. The pumpkinseed looked clean from the start. Fast forward 3 weeks today and now I'm seeing multiple white hair-like worms on both fish, mostly on fins but the pumpkinseed also has a couple attached to the body. I've been googling a lot and can't quite figure out what these are. They don't appear to be anchor worms because I don't see a Y shaped body, but maybe that's more microscopic. I can't tell if they're skin flukes either. I want to get these identified quickly so I can treat it with the appropriate medication. I appreciate the help, and would also appreciate recommendations for medication. I don't have any other fish, snails, or shrimp. Just a bunch of Anacharis and a few Anubia plants. Please see attached photos for reference.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• bluegill_first_arrived.jpg
    bluegill_first_arrived.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Bluegill.jpg
    Bluegill.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Pumpkinseed.jpg
    Pumpkinseed.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 26
I have a 53 gallon tank with one pumpkinseed and one bluegill, both taken from the same pond at the same time, about 3 weeks ago. Tank is cycled and has been running for 6+ weeks using the fishless cycling process; my ammonia and nitrites have been 0ppm for 2+ weeks, while nitrates are generally 5ppm or less. No fish existed in this tank prior to these two.

The bluegill came home with a white worm-like parasite attached to it's pectoral fin, about a half inch long. I was going to try and get him out of the tank and remove it with tweezers, but put it off a few days and then it was gone. The pumpkinseed looked clean from the start. Fast forward 3 weeks today and now I'm seeing multiple white hair-like worms on both fish, mostly on fins but the pumpkinseed also has a couple attached to the body. I've been googling a lot and can't quite figure out what these are. They don't appear to be anchor worms because I don't see a Y shaped body, but maybe that's more microscopic. I can't tell if they're skin flukes either. I want to get these identified quickly so I can treat it with the appropriate medication. I appreciate the help, and would also appreciate recommendations for medication. I don't have any other fish, snails, or shrimp. Just a bunch of Anacharis and a few Anubia plants. Please see attached photos for reference.

Thanks,

Dave

While they are not anchor worms, they are certainly an external parasite that appears to also be some sort of nematode and can likely be treated in the same way. Microbe lift Lice and Anchor worm is a product that a lot of pond people use to treat the external parasites common in our fish. It should do the trick and knock out whatever these are.

While they are not anchor worms, they are certainly an external parasite that appears to also be some sort of nematode and can likely be treated in the same way. Microbe lift Lice and Anchor worm is a product that a lot of pond people use to treat the external parasites common in our fish. It should do the trick and knock out whatever these are.

I did a 20% water change 5 days ago and dosed the tank with Prazipro without any carbon filters, no luck. I added a second dose last night. I've been reading some other forums too for help and my next stuff I'll try is either Microbe life lice or Dimilin.

Somebody thought they may be a type of leech and to treat the tank with salt.

Back
Top Bottom