need help... now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizfiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just looked at my tank and my bristlenose pleco is laying at the bottom on the tank on his side, barely moving his mouth. Last night he was fine, clinging to the glass, and he has given me no need for worry as of late. Im guessing he is going to die today unless I do something but I dont know what to do. I dont have any kind of quarantine tank, and my LFS is closed on Sundays, so could anyone give me any help?? Thanks a lot.......

And right as I was about to hit send, I noticed that one of my white clouds is dead on the bottom of the tank too!! I just tested my water last week and all was fine, what the hell is going on?

Do you have a test kit? Test your water again. Give us specifics. What size tank do you have? When was your last water change? How long have you had your tank?

dont have a test kit, tested it at my LFS last week.. 37 gal tank been set up for 8 months or so. and right now there are only a couple fish in it, im about to move in 2 weeks so i want to stock up after the move. right now the pleco does not look good, i tried dropping some food next to him and he just sits there. i think its a lost cause....

Well, take out the food you dropped in, and do a 20 or 30% water change. Have you changed anything recently?

havent changed a thing, added a chinese algae eater a week or 2 ago and thats it, hes the most active fish in the tank right now.

Yeah thats what I was thinking... but I stay fairly up to date with the fish at my LFS and this guy was in quarantine before he was put out into the display tanks, and he was in the tank for awhile before I picked him up... so its unlikely.

Hmm, I wish I could help you more. If not disease then its something to do with your water. An ammonia spike perhaps. Do you know if anything happened with the temperature of the water? If you are not seeing any external signs of disease, my best advice for now would to just do the water change. I hope everything turns out.

I think he officialy is dead now.. Very odd and very frustrating, especially since I live in a small town where fish are much more expensive than in a bigger city. If I find anything out, Ill post it.

I am very sorry for your loss. However, this again shows the almost necessity of having a test kit available. When you set up your tank again, PLEASE get a test kit. Again, I am really sorry for your loss.

What is a good place to get a test kit online and what excactly do I need? Im new to the hobby and my LFS doesnt have much to pick from. The one brand they tell me I need would be the one I get..

Aquarium Pharacuticals seems to be the kit of choice aound here.

I think the Hagen kit is more comprehensive, but not necessarily the best for as some test are not essential for the general hobbyist.

Back
Top Bottom