Need help possibly sick guppy!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BleuJaee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey! I'm new here, and I need some help quick! I don't know what's wrong with one of my breeder guppy\endlers she's normally dark grey on the top and pale grey on the bottom but today as I was feeding her I saw the top of her back was pale grey almost white and I don't know why. I think it could have to do with water conditions because the filter had stopped working (working on fixing it right now!!) But I honestly don't know what's wrong with her anyone have advice for me? (Side note I recently saw my defective female guppy picking at her so I separated them and put her on the baby box so the other couldn't pick at her.)

Sorry I forgot to add this!!
In the tank there is another Smaller female guppy with a deformity, a smaller male guppy, quite a few of the sick guppies children currently in the other compartment baby box, a African dwarf frog about the size or a dollar coin, a small common pleco, a large corydora and a balloon mollie. My filter in the tank is broken for an unknown reason (likely a cat) and I'm out of strips for the parameters (seeing if I can get some today). I add water about every Friday and the last water addition was last friday, I haven't vaccummed the gravel since my family hadn't been able to get a new one but I have one now and will begin doing it on Saturdays, I've had the fish for seven months and ten days so idk how long she was acclimated. Sixteen days ago I added the male the other female and a baby male guppy I had also gotten. The fish eat a mix between tetra color and aqueon goldfish granules.

Until you get a new filter I would change some water daily, see if your fish perk up. Without a filter how are you oxygenating the water? Do you have an airstone?

You do know that common plecos grow upto 2 feet in length? You havent mentioned how big your tank, but unless its a very large tank your pleco will outgrow it. What are your long term plans for this fish?

You may have crashed your cycle without a working filter. How long has it been inoperable? Is the filter and all the media still in the tank even though its not working?

I have a waterfall air stone but since its old it doesn't work as good as I'd like it to. My mom bought the pledge as a gift and the tank is ten gallons I'm saving money to buy a bigger tank the pledge is quite small and as it grows it will go into a 25 then it'll go into a thirty when I have the money for it. It stopped working a few weeks ago I believe the filters still in the tank and I'm going to work on it today. Everyone else in the tank are fine she seems to be the only one with the disease\illness.

Unless you plan on a 150 gallon tank somewhere down the line you should really rehome that pleco. Its not fair on the fish to keep it in an aquarium where it cant grow properly. It will suffer all sorts of health issues in time. Yes, you can keep upgrading tanks as it grows, but ultimately you would need to home it in a very big aquarium.

As long as your airstone is creating some surface movement you should be ok for oxygenation.

Without a filter you really need to be changing 30 to 50% of the water daily. If the filter hasnt been operating for a couple of weeks you probably will have lost your beneficial bacteria and will need to recycle the tank when you either repair or replace your filter. Do you know how to do this?

Thank you I'll start looking for somewhere to take the pleco. I just fixed the filter and its working again. Should I keep the guppy in the baby box or put her back in??

If other fish are bothering her, its best to keep her seperated and see if she recovers now the filter is working. Still do those water changes.

Until you can test your water and be sure you are cycled I would change 30 to 50% per day. When you can test your water, you can change as much water as you need to dictated by your test.

Have you done the water changes i recommended? Do you know your water parameters yet?

If you wanted to try treating the fish, i would move the infected fish to a quarantine tank. Are you able to do this? If you don't have another tank, a tote box, airstone and heater will do. Medicating is stressful for fish, so you dont really want to be medicating the other healthy fish. Look for a broad spectrum medication. If you are medicating the main display tank and have any snails or inverts these should be removed as the medication may kill them. You could also add aquarium salt, 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water, increase to 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons if you see no improvement. Salt may kill live plants if you treat the main display tank. Much better to treat fish in a quarantine tank so there is no worry about effecting anything else in your tank.

I have another tank but i'll need to set it up when I get home from school will that do?? I'm also going to do the water change when I get home.

Anything that you keep a couple of gallons of water in, that you can heat to a suitable and move enough water around to oxygenate it.

Back
Top Bottom