Need help quickly....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...one of my mollies is at the bottom of the tank, somewhat burrowing in the gravel belly down. She may be pregnant, but not anywhere near the size my other molly is...could she be dropping fry, how long does this actually take, this process. It almost looks like something is coming out of the back of her, but just a small bit, don't laugh at this question but can they get "constipated" or something. I have just never seen her act like this before. She ate fine today that I know of, she just keeps coming back to this one spot and "sitting" in it, burrowing her belly in it. The other female seems to be bothering her and making her mad but she goes back to the spot once she calms down...any suggestions? :?: /

usually when they are giving birth they find a spot to hide, if you don't have any spots, she could be trying to make a spot in the gravel.

Mollies can definitely get constipated. What are you feeding her? I was feeding regular flake food and one of my female mollies got really constipated and started to swim upsidedown almost. This happened for about a week. I didn't see her pooping or eating anything the whole week. I read up on it and decided to buy some epson salt and give her a dip in it. About a day later she was fine and I could see all the backed up poop in the sick seperator I had her in. I then switched to more of a vegatarian diet for them and since then they have been doing fine. If you have different fish in your aquarium you could switch up the food every other day and they would do fine.

I think she might have been constipated...She pooped this huge 2 strands of poop then started swimming like normal again. I have been feeding veggie flakes and frozen blood worms, (the blood worms are only every 2-3 days though, mostly for the ADF, but the fish gobble it up like its candy) I go back and forth between tropical flakes and vegitarian flakes. I will try to feed more the veggie flakes and see if that helps. Can the blood worms make them constipated?

It definitely sounds like she was constipated. Feed them more vegatarian as that is a sure sign she isn't getting enough. Keep the blood worms to every 2 or 3 days. I think the blood worms could make her constipated if you feed them to her everyday otherwise she should be okay.

thanks studmaster, I will start doing the bloodworms every 3. My ADF should be fine for feedings every 3 days, those mollies just love the bloodworms, never realized it could constipate them though, thanks, she seems to be much better, she still is cowering at the bottom a bit in the corner, I figure if she is about to give up some fry I'll be surprised, she just doesn't look that big. thanks again

Back
Top Bottom