Need help!!!! - Sick Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jc111290

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I uploaded a pic of one of my golden panda molly fish. It has a white spot on its anal fin and I'm not sure what it is. I don't think it's ick and I'm pretty sure it's not pregnant? Still swims around like normal, always eats. Can someone please help!? I would greatly appreciate it

Attachments

• image-1886187866.jpg
    image-1886187866.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image-296003950.jpg
    image-296003950.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 109
Cannot really see it in the photos.

Water Parameters? Tank size? Tank Age? Other inhabitants? How long have the fish been in the tank? Maintenance schedule?

I'm not sure about the water parameters. I still need to get a test kit. It's a10 gallon tank 20x10

Attachments

• image-1451548413.jpg
    image-1451548413.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 99
Need to know water parameters to diagnose any possible causes. How about the other questions?

Can you get a better photo of the abnormality in question?

I've had the fish for a little over two weeks now and there are three guppies, a neon, a golden panda molly and two black balloon molly

Water params here would definitely be a concern considering the age of the tank and the current stock.

I've tried getting a better pic but that's the best i could get with all of them moving around. Last week three of them died and I ended up treating them all with api fungus cure. All the others are fine and the golden panda seems perfectly fine, I'm just concerned about that white spot on its bottom. If the water parameters are a problem then what would I have to do to fix it? Does the test kit help with that ?

The test kit will tell you what the params are. I would suspect that your fish that died succumbed to ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Without testing NH4, NO2, and NO3, it is impossible to tell if your tank is suitable to house fish.

What I would recommend is 3 things:

1. Perform a couple of large (50%+ water changes immediately)

2. Get a test kit ASAP. The API FW Master kit is a good starter and will include the basics you need to keep fish responsibly.

3. Read this article: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the article. I had read up on the "cycling" of the tank but it didn't really make much sense up until I read the one you attached. I appreciate it!

I keep mollies and to me that looks like the breeding tube, is it female? Sorry if you've already said it is, but I have mollies with a dark colour and they have white breeding tubes, that doesn't look like anything to worry about in my opinion. I will try to get a pic of one of mine from that angle, may take a while but I will post a pic on this thread for you to compare, or try googling it. I'm pretty confident that's all it is.

Thanks ursi!. I've read up on it and I am almost positive it's a female. I've been keeping a close eye on all the fish in the tank and they seem fine. Active and eating. I'm pretty new to all this so I question everything lol.

I'm the same, if I'm not sure about something I research it, but in my opinion it's the best way :)

Back
Top Bottom