Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Need help with first case of ich!

I started a new tank on the 24th (please see this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=39452) and have discovered that the orange mollies have broken out from ich - the black one is starting and I can't tell on the dalmation. The guppies seems fine. I can't find the pleco to check him.

I have read the treatments available and will start with salt since that's what I have on hand already. I am going to start with one tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Since I am still in the early stages of the cycle, I don't want to vacuum the gravel yet. I went ahead and threw in my second pack of Bio-Spira, in the hopes that it will help move the cycle along.

Is there anything else I can do for my poor little mollies?

Old 12-29-2004, 07:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I saw your last post and assumed you had started the treatment. Raise the temp slowly to 86d. This will be over a few weeks but you're on the right track.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:21 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I agree - temperature will handle this very well. Mollies prefer some salt anyway but the pleco does not do well with it long-term, so you can discontinue it after the ich is gone. Read about ich treatment in the article section here on AA.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can I raise the temp with the salt? Both treatments are ok?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, see response in your other thread
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually it is best to use both. The salt wreaks osmotic havoc with the little parasite (like salt on snails--what a strange childhood) and the heat increases their metabolism and shortens their life cycle so they take in more salt and it is more harmful.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hehehe, AG - I grew up with male cousins... know all about salt on slugs. I just hope my pleco will be okay with the salt, I know they aren't comfortable with it

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com