Need help with first case of ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoxieGrrrl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I started a new tank on the 24th (please see this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=39452) and have discovered that the orange mollies have broken out from ich - the black one is starting and I can't tell on the dalmation. The guppies seems fine. I can't find the pleco to check him.

I have read the treatments available and will start with salt since that's what I have on hand already. I am going to start with one tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Since I am still in the early stages of the cycle, I don't want to vacuum the gravel yet. I went ahead and threw in my second pack of Bio-Spira, in the hopes that it will help move the cycle along.

Is there anything else I can do for my poor little mollies?

I saw your last post and assumed you had started the treatment. Raise the temp slowly to 86d. This will be over a few weeks but you're on the right track.

I agree - temperature will handle this very well. Mollies prefer some salt anyway but the pleco does not do well with it long-term, so you can discontinue it after the ich is gone. Read about ich treatment in the article section here on AA.

Actually it is best to use both. The salt wreaks osmotic havoc with the little parasite (like salt on snails--what a strange childhood) and the heat increases their metabolism and shortens their life cycle so they take in more salt and it is more harmful.

Hehehe, AG - I grew up with male cousins... know all about salt on slugs. I just hope my pleco will be okay with the salt, I know they aren't comfortable with it :(

Back
Top Bottom