Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need ID fast columnaris??

Having a problem with my fish I'm losing them like crazy is this columnaris? If this guy does I will be devastated don't have any meds on hand so need to know fast what to get Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411230837.826193.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	250466

Old 09-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breathing fast trouble staying upright mouth looks hurt swollen and a little fuzzy, right eye popping out a little. Water parameters check out small ammonia spike last week I'm assuming the new fake plants I put in was harboring detritus and gross stuff I removed it and did 2 pwc during the week and extensive vac got some diatoms so I'm assuming I went through a mini cycle I'm ok now but fish won't stop dying

Old 09-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The mouth looks fungal, by the fin looks bacterial. I'd buy something that treats both bacterial and fungal. I would treat for both gram negative and gram positive at same time. Make sure to remove carbon from your filter.

You said you had no meds. So, you're at the mercy of what your local fish store has. Take photos with you and try to get an experienced aquarist to advise from their stock of meds.

No salt for cory.

This page will assist you as to + or -
http://www.americanaquariumproducts....edication.html

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi monkey,
I did have methylene blue on hand so I treated the cory but alas lost him. Death toll has reached twelve in total. I cleaned the tank thoroughly and switched sand to substrate with a huge water change. I'm monitoring the parameters but so far no deaths in two days so we shall see. Heading to the lfs tomorrow to get bacterial meds as well
Old 09-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry for your loss.

Can u add a UV to the tank? It might help in preventing the spread of any disease. Good luck!!! And keep us posted.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)
Old 09-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should try to get maracyn 2 if nothing else. Make sure you get a Gram negative antibiotic, most of what the pet store people try to sell you is wrong and dosent work. I would use the methylene and maracyn-2 for a week if nothing else. Remember M. Blue will kill all Nitrifying bacteria, so your gonna have to re seed the tank after treatment. Columnaris Deaths look like the fish's skin is being eaten away,almost brownish after or near death, and secondary mold/fungus grows on the outside usually one spot on the top/back of the fish, where as true fungus is more of all over the fish and fins. They usually go hand in hand as well.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt68005 View Post
You should try to get maracyn 2 if nothing else. Make sure you get a Gram negative antibiotic, most of what the pet store people try to sell you is wrong and dosent work. I would use the methylene and maracyn-2 for a week if nothing else. Remember M. Blue will kill all Nitrifying bacteria, so your gonna have to re seed the tank after treatment. Columnaris Deaths look like the fish's skin is being eaten away,almost brownish after or near death, and secondary mold/fungus grows on the outside usually one spot on the top/back of the fish, where as true fungus is more of all over the fish and fins. They usually go hand in hand as well.
Just a heads up for anyone looking to purchase Mardel (Sentry) products (ie, Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Maroxy, Quick Cure, Maracyn Plus, Maracide, Clout, Coppersafe, etc). Mardel discontinued their entire line of products months ago. They are no longer made nor sold. The same applies for Kordon products (Nova aqua, Amquel, herbal ich attack, ich attack, etc).These products may still be found on eBay/similar sites/clearance racks but be absolutely positive on the expiration dates prior to purchase as many of these meds can become toxic beyond expiration and/or if stored improperly.

Op, please call or visit your lfs and let us know what meds they stock so we can further advise! Keep us posted on your fish's condition!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk View Post
Just a heads up for anyone looking to purchase Mardel (Sentry) products (ie, Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Maroxy, Quick Cure, Maracyn Plus, Maracide, Clout, Coppersafe, etc). Mardel discontinued their entire line of products months ago. They are no longer made nor sold. The same applies for Kordon products (Nova aqua, Amquel, herbal ich attack, ich attack, etc).These products may still be found on eBay/similar sites/clearance racks but be absolutely positive on the expiration dates prior to purchase as many of these meds can become toxic beyond expiration and/or if stored improperly.

Op, please call or visit your lfs and let us know what meds they stock so we can further advise! Keep us posted on your fish's condition!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Oh thats right JLK. Thanks for the heads up. Jeeze that really stinks! Kordon makes some nice products. Now where in the hell am i gonna get my methylene blue or Rid ich plus? Im glad i just bought some i better make it last. why! why! why!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi guys,
Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately I was not able to get any meds, availability here sucks. I really thought I was going to lose the whole tank and kind of lost heart, but I kept cleaning doing pwc and monitoring. My fish finally stopped dying but I'm not sure what happened. I still have two silver dollars, a hi fin lyretail, a black phantom tetra, three panda corys, one leopard cory, and three boesemani rainbows. I hope this is over and never happens again. Devastating.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Oxytetracycline 2.5mm
For in the future.....good luck my friend!

Tags
column, columnaris

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com