Need opinions on using straight, generic Formalin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilgore

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have an old bottle of Formalin (generic) and I am assuming it doesn't expire since it is basically formaldehyde. Is this correct?

At any rate, I am considering using it to treat ich in a 10-gallon tank with six guppies and one otocinlus. I haven't actually seen any white spots but the guppies are flashing on rocks and clamping fins somewhat. So, assuming I have ich, is it safe to use this product at the recommended dosage? There are a few plants in the tank but I care more about the fish.

I do know that formalin is one of the key medications in Rid-Ich, so I thought that this could work, especially in combination with the treatment dose of salt I added yesterday (1 tablespoon per 10 gallons).

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Totally agreed with Rich. Not a good idea. Not only is it not needed(heat works amazingly well), but it can cause damage to your fishes gills also. It will stain everything it touches, including your hands and clothes.

It is also dangerous if not stored correctly. If the bottle you have has a white crust on it, don't use it, and throw it away. It has formed paraformaldehyde, which is letal to your fish, and not good for you either.

Alright, well I am glad I asked! Guess I'll just throw out the old Formalin since I can't be sure it is still good.

BTW, plain formalin is clear and doesn't turn the water blue - that is the malachite green in medications like Quick Cure (which I picked up today just in case), which also contains formalin.

So how are these medications properly stored? Or any medication for that matter, including liquids like Melafix and tablets/capsules like Clout?
In a cool, dry dark place? Just like spices.... :)

Yep, cool and dark. Usually not too important with most meds, but its a lil different with straight formalin (which I know is clear, prolly having a brain fart when I wrote that) :) . It will form the paraformaldehyde when exposed to a lot of light(btw, I don't know how much light it takes, this is just something I learned a while ago).

Begin cranking your heat up to 86F, and your flashing and rubbing problem will be cured.

Back
Top Bottom