Need quick advice on rainbow fish going downhill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 50 gal community with a variety of fish. In an otherwise perfect tank, I have a lone rainbow who has been losing weight to the point where I don't think he's going to make it. He will agressively eat the flakes offered to him and rest of the tank but quickly spit them out. He will repeat this process until all the food has been consumed by everyone else.

Last night I had to put him in the 10 gal, because he has weakend to the point where he can't even defend himself against his mates. He seems to want to eat and sucks in the food, but again, just spits it right out. Any suggestions???

What species of rainbowfish do you have? Are you aware that a lot of rainbowfish are actually brackish water fish and should be kept in a tank with a little bit of marine salt.

I'm pretty sure nothing higher than 1.005 SG. You should do your research on the exact species you have to determine if that might be your problem or not.

Hi,
I have heard that most rainbowfish have very narrow throats and sometimes they will choke on food or get something lodged in there. Not sure if this is the case with your rainbowfish. It wouldn't hurt to try feeding him pea soup (a skinned pea, nuked for about 30 seconds). Squish the pea in the water so the fish can slurp it without having to bite pieces; make sure that no pieces of pea get in the water or your rainbowfish will try to eat the whole piece which will get lodged in his throat. The pea soup should help with any digestive issues as well. Keep him in his own tank until he gets better.

I hope this helps...

Back
Top Bottom