Need some advice??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ALittleSalty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, let me describe my tank. I am running a 20 Long. The livestock consists of 3 chinese barbs, 2 angelfish, 5 glow light tetras, 1 cory cat, 1 rubber lip pleco and some small snails. This tank has been running for over 4 years now with no major problems. I am running a penguin 100 bio wheel for filtration.

Two days ago I decided to pull out the UG filter in my preparations for a planted tank. I removed everything from the tank and cleaned all the plastic plants, and rinsed all the gravel out too. I re set up the tank and let it run for a full day before I added the fish back to the tank.

Everything looked good, water was clear, all the params looked good, but tonight I noticed some white spots on my angelfish and the tetras, but not the barbs. I thought it might just be some oxygen bubbles from the plants, but upon closer inspection I believe it is Ich.

I have read how to treat it and the different stages of its life form, but my question is what would those of you experienced with it do in terms of treatment.?

I really dont want to loose any fish especially the angel fish (almost 5 inches tall) Thanks for the advice and info. Jon

In your case, heat is the best option. Slowly increase the temp to 86-87d and keep it there for two weeks after the spots are completely gone.

I'd be very interested in determining how the ich came to be.

Just a little update on my situation. I raised the temp slowly over a three day period to 87 and the fish seemed to get a little better. On the 10th I lost my smaller angel fish and at the same time noticed that my larger angel was really struggling to swim around and was hanging out on top to the gravel. By the time I got my QT re-set up and running, he was already gone.......Not too happy on this!! I spent a while looking at the other fish in the tank and noticed that my barbs were still fine, the tetras had lost all of their white spots, the cory cat was still chasing his own reflection up the back wall. The rubber lipped Pleco started showing signs of Ick. I did a 50% water change and let the tank be for the night. Then next day I treated the tank with Wardley's Ick treatment. The next night I did another 50% water change and now all looks to be good. I am going to continue doing the 50% water changes twice a week for the next couple of weeks, vacumming the gravel a lot each time. I still have the temp up high and plan on gradually lowering it back down to 76-78 over the next two weeks.

Do you guys think I should do anything else??

So sorry to hear about your losses. I think you did everything right and are continuing to do what is right for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom