need some advice / possible ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quest84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone, I need some help i think my fish may have ick but I'm not sure. My rainbow shark has been rubbing himself on the gravel from time to time, he has no white spots on him at all

my one blood parrot juvenile is just starting to change colors from a striped black color to orange. I noticed he has tiny white dots on some of his fins, but none on his body. Could this just be from the color change?...if this was ick would it be on his whole body?

All the fish are swimming all around the tank and eating well. No heavy breathing or gasping for air

should i start treating my tank just in case? what type of meds should i use? I never had any diseases or ick before so I'm not sure what to do.

my tank is 72 gallons, I do a 50% water change & gravel vac once a week
tank is cycled and water parameters are good

I'll try to get some pics or a video up later

Ich literally looks like grains of salt or sand on the fish. Might be a good idea to look up some pictures and compare.
To treat:
Increase temperature to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase gravel vacs
Leave the temp up for at least a week after the last spot is seen
No meds are needed.

thanks mumma, I did google pictures of ick and most of them show the tiny white spots all over the fish. None of my fish have the spots all over there body.

the blood parrot has some white spots only on his fins, none on his body
and the rainbow shark has no spots at all. The reason i thought it could be the start of ick..the shark flashing on the gravel combined with the few white spots on the blood parrots fins. Is it normal for a rainbow shark to be rubbing up on the gravel?

should i start treating them now? or wait and see if more white spots develop

I just did a 50% water change today and a gravel vac
I have plenty of aeration, 2 HOB filters and a big bubble stone

thanks for you help

Fish can flash for a number of reasons not just from ich. :) Honestly I can't tell without pictures and I don't know anything about blood parrots. You can just keep an eye on the spots and see if they spread or start the heat treatment and see if they go away after a few days to a week.

Back
Top Bottom