Neglected Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennBell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a 2nd hand tank and tiok on 2 of its unhabitants. One is a pleco and although he is between 8-10 inches he is soo skinny. I've been giving him algea wafers but since the set up is new and I had to drastically clean everything thetr isnt any algea for him to eat. I did move some decorations from my goldfish tank in there. What else should I do.

Since he's nocturnal, feed him at night when you turn that tank's lights off. Also, blanched cucumber with blood worms stuck inside it and attached to a heavy clip is also a good treat for him. At that length he should have a decent girth to him :/ hopefully you can get him to put on a little weight.

Do you know what kind of pelco he is?

I've been having trouble getting a green phantom pleco to eat. As others have suggested feed right before you go to bed and take the food out when you get up. Mine took to zucchini first, and a lot of others suggest to start with zucchini. If you know it's eaten wafers in the past you can break a piece of wafer off and stick it in the zucchini. Seachem makes a garlic liquid that's supposed to increase appetite, so you may want to try that if it gets really stubborn eating.

Keep a close watch on the eyes and belly. The eyes should be buldging from the head and the stomach should not look sunken.

Also watch the poop. White or clear poop indicates trouble in the digestive system. Otherwise it should be close in color to what it's eating... Ie if it eats zucchini it should be light green, if its been eating wood it will be brown. Driftwood is good to have as it can help "reseed" the digestive tract and get things going again

His poop is dark green/brown now. He has a great appetite too. When I woke this am the decorations from my goldfish tank where sparkly. It was quite impressive. I'll pick him up some zucchini today to help fayten him up. Im not sure what kind he is. So ill attach some pictures.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130323_091009.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_091009.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20130323_091140.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_091140.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20130323_091202.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130323_091202.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 62
He may be a common. People get this since they are cheap, without knowing how big they get.

Back
Top Bottom