neon tetra disease, 13 dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

couplescaddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi everybody, i have had a planted 20 gallon tank set up for about 8 months now showing ammonia at 0, nitrates at 0 and nitrites at 0 around 78 degrees. i had about 5 cardinal tetras, 4 rummynosed tetras, and 10 glowlight tetras swimming around in my tank. we started loosing fish and thought it was because of a rise in temperature during some 100 degree days in santa barbara. after teh heat spell we kept loosing fish and removing them from the tank as soon as i saw them. its been almost 2 weeks and so far teh death count is about 13. i read the post on neon tetra disease and it fits the profile of the symptoms pretty well. i have removed and killed 4 other fish that were either severely bloating, had drastic color loss, or had developed ich. i treated the tank for the ich and so far no other fish have showed any symptoms. as the fish keep dropping i keep wondering what i can do to my tank. i also have 2 rainbows, 2 other small tetras that look kind of like a tiger barb but just white with black tips on their fins, and a small pleco. please help me with some advice to remove this disease from my tank and on how to prevent this disaster from happening again.

You should see some nitrates, unless you have a high light tank, especially if you are that heavily stocked. Neon tetra disease is much slower spreading, so this sounds environmental. What test kit are you using? Have your lfs test your water. How hot did your water get on those 100 degree days?

Hi couplescaddy, did you lose any of your cardinal tetras? I'm asking because neon tetra disease does not affect cardinals, so if you lost cardinals then it might've been something else (non-NTD). Or it could've been NTD and something else.

:)

Back
Top Bottom