Neon tetra disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danielt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help, all of my neons have become really pale, so much so that they are quite literally clear with faint red and blue lines. I found one dead the other day, completely white. They've started staying quite still at the bottom of the tank. I have a few pictures.

image-1348331131.jpg

image-1145138413.jpg

Are they breathing rapidly? My son's 10gal just lost 3 (on separate days) out of 6 since Wed ... had the same symptoms as yours ... lost of color and rapid breathing. The three died the next morning from when I first noticed the symptoms.

If it is NTD ... nothing you can do, there's no treatment.

I hope it's not my doing. My water levels are right, everything's ok. :/ and they keep moving their mouths fast? The other day, they were at the surface breathing, for no reason at all.

When did you get them? Neons ... from what I've read ... are notorious for this, especially newly introduced stock.

They've been in a while. 3/4 weeks? Although, that is recent, isn't it?

3 or 4 weeks ago? All from the same place too ( obviously, I don't know, I'm throwing thoughts about )

If it's only been 3-4 weeks, then your in that 1 month QT time as I like to call it. It's why QT'ing new stock for a month is recommended since some illnesses can take that long to show. With Neons what your seeing is typical of what I know about them. They'll do fine for weeks and then loss of color, rapid breathing, then they drop like flies.

Hopefully that will not be in your case.

Should I take the neons out, or leave them to die in the tank?

If it's all your Neons and there're no other fish ... just leave them in. If you do have other fish, then QT the neons to another tank, tub or bucket.

Now my water is cloudy and smelly :/ everything is happening!

Now my water is cloudy and smelly :/ everything is happening!

Sounds like your parameters are off somehow. How are you testing the water? Test strips or a liquid kit like the API test master kit? Test strips are junk and are notoriously inaccurate.

First I'd do a 50% PWC and then re-test with the API-test master kit. An aquarium with good water parameters really should not be cloudy or smell.

The weather perimeters are fine;

image-1670691758.jpg

And look how murky the water is;

image-1757681804.jpg

Back
Top Bottom