Neon tetra disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone ever deal with this. Seems my neons pretty much got wipes out in 2 days and most sign seem to this

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have dealt with both Tetrahyema (NTD) and also columnaris. They both look similar. The best way to deal with it is to take the tank down and stearlize everytying and throw away the substrate, as Tetrahyemea lives in the substrate, they both look similar, the best way to tell the difference is that Columnaris will usually have secondary fin rot and look more white and so forth, while tetrahyema will just be a brown streak lesion with no tail rot. Columnaris is curable and no need to take the tank down really, while tetrahyemea is usually 100% fatal, incurable, and lives in the gravel (columnaris does not)
Hope this helps you.
If you can tell me which one it look like more I can tell you which one it was, was it a Brown line only or was it white/brownish patches with tail rot?

Looked like a fin rot and they started losing their color rapidly and going gray.
Looked like the pics I saw online. They seem to be the only fish affected but I'm keeping a close eye and started dosing some melafix in the tank.
Any suggestions as I just also did a 50 WC yesterday

If I'm being honest these tets never actually looked healthy from the store and I was always surprised they lasted this long. They were very stiff and almost deformed looking when closely examined

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Strange I haven't really introduced anything new. Im wondering if the wonder shell I put in there affected them oddly

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looking up some treatments.
I already use salt in my aquarium so hopefully that's helping. Will keep up with some water changes and try to keep everything healthy. I see no signs of anything on other fish at all but the neons are pretty sensitive fish.
Not really looking to nuke the tank unless I really know what's going on.
Could always pull the snails and plants I like most and nuke.
I'll wait first though

Odd I have one tetra who's still doing fine

I wish I could help but fish sickness is something I know nothing about. I hope your tank will be ok. I just had to start over and it's no fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wish I could help but fish sickness is something I know nothing about. I hope your tank will be ok. I just had to start over and it's no fun!

I started already re imagining lol.
All my other fish are fine, and even one tetra is left fine. So weird. Im starting to think maybe my wondershell and rescaping stirred up enough and changed the eco enough to stress my neons and they just got sick and died.

I have horrible luck with neons. After reading so many threads, at least I know I'm not alone. Shame since they are so pretty! They are apparently quite touch and go. It seems they either do well or not do at all. I fall in the latter. They will not be present in my tank this go around.

I have horrible luck with neons. After reading so many threads, at least I know I'm not alone. Shame since they are so pretty! They are apparently quite touch and go. It seems they either do well or not do at all. I fall in the latter. They will not be present in my tank this go around.

I have zero idea what really happened. Not like I can ask the last living one. I will get more but Im hesitant while one is still alive just in case something can still spread.

Ill wait a few then grab some more.

Well nick, you should have some idea, I told you its either NTD or columnaris, its up to you now to determine which one it was by reading and looking at pictures.

Well nick, you should have some idea, I told you its either NTD or columnaris, its up to you now to determine which one it was by reading and looking at pictures.

Problem is I DID look at pics and read. I looked at pics and read before I posted. Thats how I concluded NTD. When I look up columnaris it doesnt really match up. That looks more like sores.

Again though I can not be 100% sure its either as every other fish is 100% normal. Even my other small minnow fish who actually school with the neons.

I still have an inkling it could have been the mineral shell I put in there altered the water chemistry enough to hurt the neons which I think are my most sensitive fish.
I prefer to just wait before I throw more neons in. If in a week or so nothing else shows up Ill get a few more. I mean who knows, maybe the ONE neon left was harrassing the others and they died of stress and fin rot and I just wasnt catching it.

I mean even the pics of NTD I see look like fin rot and ich to some degree. 90% of fish diseases kind of look the same to me.

When I had tetrahyemena, my fish would have a brownish line towards their cadual PENDACULE. Columnaris will show up anywhere on the fish's body. I know their hard to tell apart, but since their both serious problems, I would keep searching for "how to tell columnairs apart from NTDs" on google. Columnaris is more of a exterior whitish skin lesion, while NTD is a deep brown lesion in one place only.

Back
Top Bottom