Neon tetra doesnt seem well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishless cycle

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have adopted five neon tetras, one female guppy and five bumblebees from a friend and they are all doing fine in a 21 litre tank. I feed them once every other day as the tank is overcrowded just while I cycle my 180 litre tank for them. Only about another 7-8 days and it'll be cycled. I changed their died from frozen shrimp to blood worms (with garlic) since last week. Today I gave them some granules.

At first their fins seemed a little tattered but I think that was the overcrowding and they all seem okay now and their fins are growing back. I go a little overboard with testing the water but I want to make sure there is no sign of poor quality water.

Ammo is 0
Nitrite is 0
Nitrate is below 40 (about 30)
Ph is 8.2 (it's the area here but the same ph as my friend had them all in)

One of my neons has been losing his red colour and swims in the corner I have noticed just yesterday and today. He is slightly pointing downwards and seems like he has no energy. Help! What can I do to help him - I'm worried he isn't well???

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

What bumblebee fish? Catfish, gobs cichlids? It sounds like your tetra has a diease. I'm not sure which one though.

Your tetra is probably stressed from the overcrowding. Some extra water changes might help perk him up.

Your tetra is probably stressed from the overcrowding. Some extra water changes might help perk him up.

I will get on to it... I'll do a 20% water change now. They all seem to get on fine - it's just there are too many for the tank. They just have to hang on another week and then they'll be in a much more comfortable tank.

Just to say thanks for the advice. Although my neon's colour is still faded, since the water change and also turning down the light, he's back swimming with the others.

My new tank is almost cycled a lot quicker than I thought it would so will be transferring them all to a 180 litre tank in the morning if my levels are as good as they are today. So excited - cant wait to give then a good feed too.

Thanks again for your advice :)

Back
Top Bottom