Neon Tetra Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spider8ait1994

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Almost a year ago I purchased 10 neon tetras from my local pet store. About 6 months ago I noticed they seemed to have small growths. I couldn’t find much about this online and the fish didn’t seem bothered by them, they could still eat and swim fine.
Within the past 2 months I’ve had most of my school die. Currently I have one tetra remaining that seems to be doing ok. The one remaining doesn’t have near as many growths as the others.
Mainly I’m wondering what this is and if there’s anything I can do to treat and prevent it.
For some background my tank contains 1 small balloon molly, 2 small bristlenose catfish and 1 small corydora catfish alongside my 1 remaining tetra.
I feed the molly and tetras micro pellets for top feeders and the catfish I Give sinking veggie wafers.
None of the other fish are showing any sign of these growths so it seems to only affect the tetras.
I examined one of the tetras that had died and found the growths to be firm, almost like bone, and white-pale grey in color. Mainly occurring around the mouth and tail of the fish.
The tank a couple gallons with a 3 stage filter (ceramic and carbon cartridges, sponge and filter unit), contains 1 archway ornament and 1 live plant.
The water temp sits at around 25°C and gets a complete water change every 2 weeks with a partial water change every 7 days.
I have attached a photo of my remaining tetra and indicated the growths.

Attachments

• D114F802-F458-4A5D-A4DE-81955376DEFC.jpg
    D114F802-F458-4A5D-A4DE-81955376DEFC.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 38
I get the same thing with some of my tetras. I still can't figure it out. It starts out on the mouth or fins then spreads to the body. But it takes a long time to get that bad. Like over a year. What puzzle's me is it's very slow growth, doesn't affect the fish in any way besides the growths inhibiting the fish's fin function and it isn't contagious that I can see. The last tetra I had that had this problem lived for 3 years and the last two years it had the growths on it.

Back
Top Bottom