neon tetra losing colour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalbeginner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
help, one of my neon tetras is losing its red stripe, its going a dull colour (black/brown) there are no signs of infection and all the others (7) are fine. any pointers?

Sorry man,he's a goner.I've had a couple go like that.What I have read it's called neon tetra disease.I have tried everything to stop it but once a fish has it ,well.....On the plus side I understand it is not contagious.I hope I am misinformed though as I have 11 of the little buggers now!Off topic-Scotland!Cool!My relatives are from there on my Grandfathers' side.Still got family there as I understand.

I agree with the Tetra's disease,sorry. IMOP Tetra's are really not hardy enough to cycle tanks. Stick with Danio's for cycling a tank very hardy and some are quite nice looking.

It's neon tetra disease. You need to remove the sick fish as soon as possible. It IS contagious. The other fish catch it by eating or nipping the sick fish. I had a bout of it recently. You have to remove any infected fish as soon as the color starts to fade, otherwise the other fish can catch it. You will need to euthanize the infected fish, as there is no cure for this disease. Also, other fish can catch it, most tetras and cichlids are at risk. Sorry, not much good news.

It is contagious? 8O well I got my fingers crossed that none of the others get it!Currently none of the fish in that tank have any symptoms.

thanx guys, i will remove the little fella and keep an eye on the rest of them. I will keep them in there just now, moving them tanks again maybe TOO much for them, the next tank i get i will cylce it with danio's ( my first tank was cycled with these same fish. No deaths)

Off topic-Scotland!Cool!My relatives are from there on my Grandfathers' side.Still got family there as I understand.

We have recently had our first child and we got a card with a canadian postmark from my great aunt jean and great uncle chuck, i know this sounds ignorant but i don't know if they share my surname.

Brotherd,
Yes it IS contagious, but is only passed by fish eating the diseased tissue of an infected fish. I went through 5 neons before I realized this. :roll:

Hey there Sorry to hear :?

I read an artical by Shirlie Sharpe Good Knowledge So I figured I would Post it up for you to read.
I have had a problem Simular to this A while back in our Mbuna tankBy feeding them Tubefix worms.
Good luck.
Chris.

"Neon Tetra disease is more common than many aquarium enthusiasts realize, and affects species beyond neon tetras. Named after the fish that it was first identified in, the disease strikes members of the tetra family most often. However, other popular families of aquarium fish are not immune. Cichlids such as Angelfish, and Cyprinids such as Rasboras and Barbs, also fall victim to the disease. Even the common Goldfish can become infected with the disease. Interestingly enough, Cardinal tetras are resistant to the ravages of Neon Tetra disease.

Caused by the sporozoan, Pleistophora hyphessobryconis, the disease is known for its rapid and high mortality rate among neons. To date there is no known cure, the only 'treatment' being the immediate removal of diseased fish to preserve the remaining fish.

The disease cycle begins when parasitic spores enter the fish after it consumes infected material, such as the bodies of dead fish, or live food such as tubifex, which may serve as intermediate hosts. Once in the intestinal tract, the newly hatched embryos burrow through the intestinal wall and produce cysts within the muscle tissue. Muscles bearing the cysts begin to die, and the necrotic tissue becomes pale, eventually turning white in color.
During the initial stages, the only symptom may be restlessness, particularly at night. Often the first thing an owner will notice is that the affected fish no longer school with the others. Eventually swimming becomes more erratic, and it becomes quite obvious that the fish is not well.

As the disease progresses, affected muscle tissue begins to turn white, generally starting within the color band and areas along the spine. As additional muscle tissue is affected, the pale coloration expands. Damage to the muscles can cause curvature or deformation of the spine, which may cause the fish to have difficulty in swimming. It is not unusual for the body of the fish to have a lumpy appearance as the cysts deform the muscles.

Rotting of the fins, especially the caudal fin is not uncommon. However, this is due to secondary infection rather than a direct result of the disease itself. Bloating is also a secondary condition that may be seen in Neon Tetra disease.

Treatment

None - separate or euthanize diseased fish
As previously stated, there is no known cure. To ensure that all fish are not lost, diseased specimens should be removed from the tank. Some species, such as Angelfish, may live for quite some time. However, they should be separated from uninfected fish to avoid spreading the disease.

Prevention

Quarantine new fish for two weeks

Maintain high water quality

Do not purchase from a tank with ill fish
The best prevention is to avoid purchasing sick fish, and to maintain high water. Carefully observe the suppliers fish. Do not purchase any fish from tanks where there are sick, dying, or dead fish present. Fish that do not school, or hang apart from the others, should be suspect."

Wow, thanx chrismac, that is a lot of information, i do have barbs in my tank which you say may be infected, will just have to be vigilant.

i have recently started feeding my fish with processed brine shrimp, do you think this introduced this parasite?

I don't think Brine shrimp would have anything to do with it at all.
Brine Shrimp is very Nutritious food for fish.
My problem was feeding Mbuna freeze dried Tubafix worms which caused Malawi Bloat in three of My Cichlids.
Which is known to happen with Cichlids when you feed them tubafix. I found out the hard way in that case, but for as it goes most people do.
I've read that neon tetra disease is very simular. Good Luck

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom