Neon Tetra Swollen Throat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys,
So a few days ago I noticed one of my neon tetras was sort of hiding underneath decorations and in caves with a swollen red bulb basically right under his chin. It looked like he was taking really shallow, quick breaths. The next morning he was swimming with the other fish and the little bulb under his chin was no longer red, but it was clear. I thought maybe he had gotten a red sinking pellet stuck in his throat and it had dissolved over night. Unfortunately, the clear bulb thing is still there, and he seems to still be breathing really quick, shallow breaths and is losing color. He hides in plants a lot of time but then other times he swims with his buddies and acts fairly normal. I will upload pictures as soon as my camera turns back on (it died while I was taking pictures) but it is a clear balloon looking thing pretty much under his chin/throat. It has a reddish brown spot on the bottom of it and I just noticed him staying really close to the surface and I'm scared he won't make it through the night. Nothing I can find online sounds like what he has....anybody know anything?

Also, should probably add my tank/water parameters:
29 gallon tank
ammonia-0
nitrites-0
pH-7.6
Temp- 79 degrees
One pleco, four tetras (including the sick one), four harlequin rasboras, and two kuhli loaches.

I don't have a quarantine tank, just a 6 gallon betta tank :( What do I do?!

Back
Top Bottom