Neon Tetra's have big white bumps around base of tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evans5150

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone,

New to the forums. Thanks in advance. I have a 25g tank with an Eclipse 2 hood. Tank has been running off and on for close to 12 years. I have three 1 year old Neon Tetras. Two of them have big white bumps around the base of their tails. When I first noticed this I thought it could be ich. One of our platty's also had some small white bumps at the same time. I slowly raised the temp to 86, did a 25% change, and swapped out carbon filters. Within 24 hours the platty's bumps were gone. Cannot treat the water with meds due to weather loach. Still at 86 degrees and it has been about 10 days. The neon's bumps have gotten SLIGHTLY better but they still look really bad. Can this possibly be something other than ich? The pics don't show the white as much as you see them in person. But they are BIG bumps and almost look very internal.

Thanks,

evans5150
photostream
photostream

I'm not personally familiar with this type of illness, but as I have neon tetras also I was very curious. I've heard a lot about neon tetra disease but have never experienced it personally. I found this site: Fish Disease - Neon Tetra Disease . You may want to check it out and see if you think it applies to you. Hopefully, it's not NTD as there is no cure.

Back
Top Bottom